The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rjsac09
  • 2 Post By mridenour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road
Default SUP Fly Fishing

How many of you guys have fished from a stand-up-paddleboard? Looking at making one or two this spring and planned on using them for some summertime fishing on the lakes around here mostly targeting bass & carp. This might seem like an odd question, but what do you do with your paddle while casting? I was thinking of making a holder that could either hold my rod or paddle depending on what I was using at the time. Pics of your success are welcome!

Ryan
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
mridenour

Default Re: SUP Fly Fishing

I'm far too uncoordinated for that!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ryan: Sounds like an interesting project to take on, keep us posted on your progress, I'd like to see what you build. Sorry I can't help with any experience on a SUP but there are lots of folks here on the forum that have used them so you should get some good advice.

Larry

Old 03-03-2014, 11:38 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ryan: Sounds like an interesting project to take on, keep us posted on your progress, I'd like to see what you build. Sorry I can't help with any experience on a SUP but there are lots of folks here on the forum that have used them so you should get some good advice.

Larry
Thanks Larry...if all goes well and I remember I will get some project pictures posted. I have been wanting to build one for some time now and think I could put it to use. A few rivers around here get pretty slow with low water in the heat of the summer and smallies stack up in the deeper holes. I think a SUP would be stellar for floating some sections of this. Also many of the places I find carp while bow fishing for them are in the really skinny water. I am wanting to go after them with a fly rod now and I think the SUP will get me there quietly!

I have plans for the build and most of the tools so it will just be a matter of getting rid of the snow & ice here before I get started!