The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 12:08 PM

jlowdermilk is on a distinguished road
Default Heart Surgery

I've been fly fishing for over 30 years and just recently found out that I will need Open Heart surgery. Has anyone out there had this type of surgery and how long est. will it be before I will be able to return to the hobby that I truly love. Just looking for and estimated time frame.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:17 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Heart Surgery

Good friend of mine just had to have a valve replaced. 6 weeks later he was back at work. 2 weeks later he was off of restrictions from his doctor and quickly gaining speed and endurance again. If everything wasn't frozen, he'd be fishing already
Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

When the Doc says so of course. But if your health is otherwise good it probably won't take as long as you fear. A lot of my relatives have had open heart and most of them seemed much better than pre-surgery for decades.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

It's not a matter of when you can get back out fishing but what can you do to not have to go under the knife again that will take away more time away from the things you love.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Might be a good time to get the vise going while you recuperate.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:23 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

I had two of these, one after the other and I was back at work six weeks after the second one (though it was difficult for me to carry a brief case). There are a lot of variables, including how much physical therapy you do, how disciplined you are about doing it, whether or not there are complications and so on. It also depends on the nature of the surgery, and how extensive it is. You should have a long conversation with your surgeon about recovery and particularly upper body muscle use (like casting).

It all comes back for sure, but it will take some time. It helps for your mind to have a happy place to go to during recovery (like your imaginary river) because keeping a positive state of mind is important too. Good luck and don't worry about it too much. its a big operation but a very common one and in any event, it really beats the **** out of the alternative...
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM

jlowdermilk is on a distinguished road

It is for an anerysum that is on the ascending Aorta and hopefully and I'm trying to get to that happy place becasue you're right if it ruptures that would not be good.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

took me almost 6 months but they had to break my ribs to do the job. had 5 by passes (have 11 stents and 4 balloons too) and was painful for a year. could lift more than 10 lbs too. good luck on it. if ya need to talk/write feel free to do so...and welcome to the zipper club..
oh yeah because of the open heart surgery and pills you will become a diabetic..

I was retired at 46
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

All is not lost during recovery. Not been down this road but a very good friend 'did the deed.' His solution? As soon as he was semi-moble he pulled out a spin casting rod, some bubble floats and a fly box.

Sat on the beach in a folding lawn chair and had at it .....
Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

Had a good friend just go through this.

He is young though. 32 and had to have a valve done. He couldn't lift more than 10 pounds or be active for at least 6 weeks. It was right in the middle of Elk season too.

Best of luck!