The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnstoeckel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 07:04 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road
Default Patagonia Convertible Vest

Posted this in the gear section with no luck...anyone checked one out?

Does anyone have one? Was looking into a check pack with a backpack on the back when I stumbled across this vest. I really like the looks of it and I think it would fit what I am wanting it for, but just wanted to hear opinions on it. Not a bad looking vest for $70!

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Patagonia Convertible Vest

No one has used one or checked one out?

I am trying to weigh the differences in getting this vs. the Cabelas Deluxe chest pack that is on sale right now for $20...
Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 AM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

You are comparing apples to oranges. The Cabelas chest pack converts to a lumbar pack. The Patagonia converable vest means a vest that can be attached to one of three different back packs.
Are you looking for a vest, or a chest pack ? If you have never used a chest pack, and wanted to try one, just to see if you like it, the Cabela's has a lot of nice features for the money. If you decided you didn't like it, you are only out $20, and could still resell it here.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

I have a buddy who has an older model of the Patagaonia vest / pack and he likes it. Patagonia certainly makes top quality stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their stuff if it was what I needed / wanted.

However, everyone has different tastes in vests and packs. I prefer a hip pack where things can be slid behind me and out of the way and where the weight is carried on my hips for less back ache.
siege likes this.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM

I guess I missed that is doesn't have a built-in backpack. It is made to be worn as a normal vest or can have the pack added. I am getting the Cabelas chest pack regardless, but wondered if this would be a good one to get later on. That way if I would go on a long pack or plan on being on the river for an extended period I could throw it onto the backpack and be ready to roll!

Thanks!