The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dpreller
  • 1 Post By mridenour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM

el sabroso will become famous soon enoughel sabroso will become famous soon enough
Default How to decide between larva or nymph?

Or should i rig both?

Or should i try larva first for a few casts then switch to both?

How do i know what types of larva/nymphs to use?

Does time of season matter?

Does anyone sell larva-nymph combos?

Thanks for any help
Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to decide between larva or nymph?

Youre over thinking it IMHO. And your question is very broad. I would recommend you narrow your concerns to Dries, Nymphs and Emergers.

You could arm yourself with pheasant tail nymphs, hares ears, prince nymphs and copper johns and pretty much be ready to fish anywhere in America. Throw in some wet flies like led wing coachmans for some swinging fun.

The best way to maximize your learning is to keep it simple. Overthinking it will cause wind knots of the brain. In other words "analysis paralysis"

Larvae is a seldom used term. Crane fly larva comes to mind and there is a lot of important info to know in the life cycle of chironomids including larvae. I would stick to the basics and take in these details over time.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 AM

el sabroso will become famous soon enoughel sabroso will become famous soon enough

By larva i mean midges

Midges grow into nymphs/emergers right?

So which should i try first? I heard some guys rig both but nobody has ever showed me

Thanks for your help

Im just confused of the life cycle of a bug

I do know most of time they leave water in late afternoon

But should i use midges in morning and cold weather?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:17 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

midges start out as larva worm like tiny things that live uder rocks on sbmerged sticks etc. they then turn into pupa as the begin to sprout wings and head towards the surface to hatch into adult midges. again by keeping it simple you could use some zebra midges in a couple sizes and colors and some rs2s in a couple sizes and colors to simulate hatching pupa and be covered pretty well. google midge life cycle and be ready to read til your eyes bleed.the best way to get an idea if what to use is to roll over some rocks pick up some sbmerged sticks leaf debris etc and see whats in there.
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Midges (chironomids) are almost always present in one form or another. The larvae lives in the substrate (usually mud) and travels around as a very tiny predator at the bottom of the food chain. Entering and exiting the substrate to forage and hide. When its ready to hatch, it morphs into the Pupa (what you refer to as a nymph) and swims to the surface to hatch. The timing on this event is temperature oriented just like all aquatic insects. my advise would be to fish the larvae in the morning and cold temps. If you are seeing some flying insects. Fish the pupa (nymph). It certainly will not hurt to fish a pupa and larvae together. 99% of chironomid larvae are red. Many emerging pupa are too. I believe from experience that fishing a red pupa will cover the gamut and produce when either, or life form is present. Keep in mind, if you are seeing adults on the water the nymphal stage is at least one size larger. ex. If the adults are estimated to be a #20 the larvae and pupa will be a #18

Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

The only time I haven't caught trout on midges is at night. I don't know if they would work at night but I generally strip streamers when there is no daylight. Seems like there is nearly always some midge activity or trout are simply opportunistic when they see one. I don't know. The work very often, even in the depth of winter.

I'm probably guilty most of not knowing when to fish a dry. I tend to lock in on nymphing or streamers and not notice bugs flying till they start landing on my nose.
labradorguy likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Thanks guys

Great stuff!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by el sabroso View Post
Or should i rig both?

Or should i try larva first for a few casts then switch to both?

How do i know what types of larva/nymphs to use?

Does time of season matter?

Does anyone sell larva-nymph combos?

Thanks for any help
It is not made clear if you are talking about Midges in still or moving water...Chironomids in still water are much larger than their counterparts in rivers. Brian Chan, in the above video, is an expert on FF those guys in BC lakes..

Click the image to open in full size.

MIDGE LIFE CYCLE

Miracle Midge LARVA - Cream - #18- #20

I fish these 1"-6" off the bottom of the water column and use these, in various colors, 90% of the time when fishing in this midge factory, all year round:

East Walker River in the Eastern Sierras...

Medallion Midge Pupa (Steve's Midge) - #18 -#22...I fish these higher in the water column or as a dropper off a larger dry fly pattern

V-Midge (Adult or Dry pattern)...I use these only when it is obvious that the Trout are taking adults in the surface film...

I have said this before, use a seine or aquarium net to view up close, what is in the drift...get and learn how to safely (for the fish) use a stomach pump...the rewards for the effort expended is worth it...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

Great advice right there.