The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 04:38 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dear God, the NE tiers of States are about to get pounded with more snow.

Nine inches of snow yesterday, and sub zero temps this morning. Nothing like spring time in Michigan. I'm thinking about installing a snow plow on the front of my lawn mower. It will save me from having to shovel before I mow.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dear God, the NE tiers of States are about to get pounded with more snow.

Though I heard we were supposed to get 9+/-" of snow here I don't think we accumulated that much yet it is hard to tell from all the drifting (the wind was pretty solid). All I know for sure is the wife was complaining about a lot less then 9"....*shrugs*....I know, I don't get it either.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

lots of rain and ice, then 3" of snow. pine went from 100 feet wide to 1/2 mile wide. Have some flooding in back yard but none in my coops this time...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

More snow this Sunday here in central PA! Mid 50's tomorrow ..... I'll be at the Yellow Breeches?

This should be the last snow? Spring in 6 days!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Got 3 more inches tonight and 22 degrees. I am at my breaking point. Going out in the morning to hunt small game for tying material and food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Although I understand what a shock this is to those in the affected areas, when I was just a boy our main winter activity was sled riding. I grew up in North Central PA. and generally we had snow by Thanksgiving and it was still around many years by the trout opening on the second weekend of April.

Sled riding was a big deal and without it I don't know what the heck us kids would have done, I lived for it. That was when the standard winter boot was the Buckle Galosh and you had cold feet 90% of the time. Even as the years advanced we still had winters like that into the late 90's but the weather gave way to a 3 and a half season kind of thing. Winters became snowless and water levels suffered. By 2003 winter was so unpredictable I choose to leave PA. for good and went to Colorado. Soon after that I was bound for Alaska.

It seems that the bad winter thing has came with me as our winters here are becoming more unpredictable every passing year. While many in the lower 48 were experiencing -0 temps I was sitting on my deck at 56* and that trend lasted long enough to create a partial ice out on our rivers! That's why I've been around so much this winter as opposed to past years. I could not travel to the cabin because there was water running on the rivers from early January until the second week of February.

Unpredictable is the best description I can give for weather and seasons these days. This seems to apply whether you live in Pennsylvania or here in Alaska. As for all the snow...... I bought a pair of 48" Michigan style snowshoes in 1982 for use in PA. and still have them. I actually enjoy shoeing and my old Michigan's are still seeing some treks every year

You know what they say, when all you get are lemons you make lemonade
rickf, fredaevans and gzarboni like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
Got 3 more inches tonight and 22 degrees. I am at my breaking point. Going out in the morning to hunt small game for tying material and food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yuck!

73 degrees in the back yard and 79 on the front porch. Neither sender unit is in the sun ...... Welcome to Spring.

Almost .... temps to drop to just close to freezing tonight. Not a good thing for my Rose bushes, etc.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:25 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, it's getting a little old.

Tonight is supposed to be -3°. The high tomorrow is forecast at 23°.

I went to a local river on Saturday. There was more ice than there was three weeks ago. There was 4-5' of shelf ice along the river in places I waded the last time I was there.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Given 'the start of Spring' is just a couple of days away, any projections on when your weather is going to break????
Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

We got another 23" last Thursday with more in the forecast, there is up to 30" of ice on the river and temps are still way below normal, I would not want to live on a flood plain, it has the potential to be devastating.