The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   New Vest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/3467-new-vest.html)

larrysmith9865 02-29-2008 07:21 AM

New Vest

I got a new vest, It says it has a rod holder on it, I dont see one. My last vest didnt have one. On Flyrod chronicles with curtis fleming he sets his rod across his chest when he catches a fish or ties a new fly on,but I still dont know how mine works. If anyone has one could ya post a pic of it.
P.S.
The flyrod chronicles with curtis fleming is a great show. One of the best flyfishing shows I have seen

Thanks

Frank Whiton 02-29-2008 09:02 AM

Re: New Vest

Hi Larry,

What new vest did you get?

Frank

gillh2o 02-29-2008 12:08 PM

I have an Orvis Battenkill Pro mesh vest that came without a loop to hold the rod. I used some leather shoe lace and attached it through the mesh with a square knot to make a rod holder loop. I placed this on the right bottom side of the vest about at a 45 degree angle from the velcro tab on the left side of the chest. You would think Orvis could have added this as it's on the regular Battenkill Pro vest. The only reason I got this vest was in exchange for one of their Tech vests that had a waterproof zipper that failed with a digital camera in it! I have an old Herters vest that has lasted longer than the three Orvis vests I've owned, however the new vests are comfortable.

Fly2Fish 02-29-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillh2o (Post 22143)
I have an Orvis Battenkill Pro mesh vest that came without a loop to hold the rod. I used some leather shoe lace and attached it through the mesh with a square knot to make a rod holder loop. I placed this on the right bottom side of the vest about at a 45 degree angle from the velcro tab on the left side of the chest. You would think Orvis could have added this as it's on the regular Battenkill Pro vest.

I had this same problem with my William Joseph Fusion Vest, which amazed me since that vest is the most fully-featured of any vest I've ever looked at. What was particularly surprising was that there was a Velcro tab high up on the chest for, presumably, holding the rod shaft, yet there was no loop off the bottom to hold the rod butt. After also trying the shoelace improvisation, I finally figured out (with Joni's help, as I recall) that the cinch-up bungee cord-type "tighteners" that tighten up the bottom of the vest around the waist could and may have been intended to serve double-duty for holding the rod butt. Once I figured this out,:doh:it's worked well. Perhaps your Orvis Battenkill Pro Mesh Vest has a similar "double duty" arrangement?