The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 PM

870expressmag is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly-fishing

I am new to fly fishing, been a regular fisherman my whole life(32yr old). A few years back my brother and I got invited on a trout fishing trip, on the opening weekend of trout season for stocked browns and rainbows. It was a lot of fun, but after a few years of all the drunks that never even make it out of the cabin to the river, and the elbow to elbow crowds all lined up along the dams edge dropping corn over the edge, i've decided this "city boy" fishing is not quite my style. We always used spinning gear. I have an extreme interest in fly fishing, a former friend who fly fished a lot got me kinda on track to get started, i bought a used rod and reel from a local classifieds, i had no idea what i was buying but i got it for 35.00. The former friend gave me a few 5x leaders, some I believe DT line, not sure of weight, maybe 6 or 7, and he actually gave me another rod and reel. Well i am looking at trying to take a casting class, my local cabelas offers them for free, but i was wondering if the rods i have, are any good, and will help me learn, or inhibit me from learning. From spinning gear fishing i knew how important at least decent equipment is. The rod and reel i bought for 35.00 is a Garcia Conolon 2 star 6&7wt 2637-A with a South bend 1122 reel on it, and the one that the former friend gave me is a South bend trophy tamer 8.5ft 6-7wt T-685 rod with what looks like the cursive initials "PS" on the reel. I believe that has 7 DT line on it. Around where i live i have lots of opportunity for bass, bluegill, pike, etc. Between extended family and in-laws i have access to some great northern michigan places for trout, steelhead, etc. just looking for info to help get me started and see if i am on the right track, sorry for the length
Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New to fly-fishing

Hi,

Welcome to the fly fishing forum, where do you live and fish? You can easily include location in your post details, if you have trouble figuring out how to do it drop me a message and I'll sort it for you.

Casting class will be a great advantage for you and while your rods are old it is the desire which makes a fisherman, not his tackle. Better tackle can come once you are on your way to knowing how to use it. I fished many years with rods not as good as what you have and I made the grade.

Once you are into your fly fishing you may find that there is no opening day and that many waters are open year round to the fly. If you live in the north winter may shut you down as it does me but that's why we have a forum then isn't it.

Welcome; I hope you'll post often and be able to pick up a few helpful tips from the group.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! I can't help with a recommendation on those two rods, but maybe someone else can give an opinion. I like the idea that you are going to take a casting lesson, best of luck.

Larry

Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys, my location is S.E. Michigan. Lots of family and in-laws in northwestern lower peninsula and the upper peninsula.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! I got into fly fishing in SE Michigan as well as West and Northern Michigan. There indeed is some great bass fishing around there! As Ard said the equipment doesn't matter as much as learning to cast right. That said, be sure the line weight on the rod matches up with the line on the reel.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have taught quite a few beginners to cast and in my opinion, a beginner cannot compensate for the deficiencies in a fly rod.

That is why in our classes we provide the rods, reels and line. We have had beginners bring their father's or grandfather's equipment and after test casting it, I tell them to save it for sentimental value but that it is simply not up to today's standards or for the style of casting that we are going to teach.

Here's an easy way to tell if you should replace at least the rod. Does the rod have metal ferrules? If it does, I suggest getting a new fly rod at least.

Since the casting class at Cabela's is free, you should take your equipment and have them look at it. Or you could post close up photos of it.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Good to have you here.

Originally from SE Michigan. I moved to Kansas when I was a kid.

When I think of SE Michigan and flyfishing, I think Huron River and smallmouth. A nifty stream.

Get to the Au Sable as quick as you can. Holy Water!
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:24 PM

wa_eric is on a distinguished road

Glad to have you!! And another good place to help you with your casting is youtube there are is a ton on fly fishing as for the rods you have and the weights it all depends on what you are planing on fishing for. I myself am a trout bum and use a 4 or 5wt for most of my fishing. I'm in Washington state. Second and the most important this when it comes to gear if you don't have a ton of money wait intel you find the rod you really want before you get one or you will find your self spending a ton on one step above what you have. There are some pretty good rods out there and everyone finds different rods they like better. Most fly shops in my neck of the woods will let you go pretty far in the trying them out path. And the yellowstone shot out is a good places to get a idea of thats good and the price range you will see, just google it and read it, then try out what you can at your local fly shop. I hope this has helped you out and hope you enjoy your journey because this is way better then spin casting!!!!! And if you have any questions feel free to P.M. me and I will help where I can or just give you my .02 worth.

Eric
Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 AM

thanks for the replies guys, my main worry is the weight of the rods, as more than likely to start out my main fishing will probably be bluegills from a boat on a lake. i think a 6-7 rod is a little heavy. probably fine for steelhead, salmon right? i will take pictures of the rods and reels and post em so you guys can check em out

the huron river is where we spincasted for stocked trout
Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few of the Garcia Conolon rods and I only use one of them.
The 2 star rods (blue right ?) were bottom of the line and were built with too few guides to make casting enjoyable.
Trying to learn to cast with that rod will only frustrate you.

The South Bend rod is a newer graphite composite that retailed for about 50 bucks.
Not exactly high end but probably very usable. It may be a very good rod for bass.