The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 02:02 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Help with

In my quest to perfect my proto fly, I've been running into a few probs. One is when adding buck hair to the fly and getting the line to distribute it around the hook, I think this is called dragging. I dont know if I am applying too much pressure on the line or not enough. I end up with one area very thick and another with little hair. Any suggestions?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with

Sounds like you may be using to much hair, try "spinning" smaller amounts and doing it 2-3 times.

Are you sure your getting all the garbage out before you spin it?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Ya nothing but hair and line. And yes I guess it is called spinning. When I put a bit on and tie it, the hair still stays clumped in one spot. So I end up adding a bunch here and there and it lookes very ugly, uniformity is bad. All I realy am trying to do is get a nice even mane look. I will try the bit by bit and see if the spinning will go better. Thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

yep as fyshstykr said---clean all the junk out of the hair put a small amount along the shank of the hook and put a loose loop around the hair and hook then another loop and thewn tighten---it should spin all the way around----if not try a smaller amount of hair
Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of hair are you using? Some types will definately spin better than others.
All hair is not created equal so to speak.... Mulie/Whitetail?
Both have various applications, also depends on where it came off the hide and time of year it was harvested.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."