The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 04:07 PM

saintjb is on a distinguished road
Default Streamer Fishing

Any tips on the best way to fish a Muddler Minnow? I use floating lines, generally.

Best,
JB
Old 02-29-2008, 05:01 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Streamer Fishing

its my favorite fly to fish deadfalls that are parellel to the flow of the river ---from the side ill cast a bit upstream and within inches of the log and feed it a bit of slack so it travels a bit under the log---let the drag pull it down the side and just before it leaves the wood---an explosive strike

across and down is good too---most hits happen at the swing
Old 03-01-2008, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

saintjb,
I've been re-reading a great book on streamer fishing called "Modern streamers for trophy trout" by Kelly Galloup and Bob Linsenman.
It has some great techniques and streamers along with some good stories about monster trout.

The chapter about 'how water works' and 'how water reacts' to structure such as rocks, logs, log jams and shelves is very informative in helping to understand the hows and why's of where big fish hang, and how your weighted or unweighted streamer is going to react to the waters changing dynamics.

You are limited when using a floating line, your going to want some various sinking lines also, depending on conditions.

Check the book out....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 03-01-2008, 08:07 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I read Kelly and Bob's book. It has some great info, especially on fighting fish.
I never, however, found the jerk-strip retrieve to be effective. Maybe I'm just not doing it correctly.

To fish a muddler minow, I keep the rod tip close to the water and take slack out of the line - I want to feel strikes. For me that's the most important technique. If I'm fishing a pool or still water I strip fast two or three times, then strip slowly, or strip long, long, short, short. However I do it, I always retrieve erratically and make the minnow act wounded.

To fishing moving water I tend to retrieve upstream or down. I haven't found
retrieving across stream to be that effective.

I believe that a muddler can be fished in many ways.

Randyflycaster
Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I had a hard time being coordinated at first with the "jerk and strip" retrieve, tried chewing gum at the same time and I really had problems.lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/