The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 07:41 AM

flykid15 is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite Scud Pattern

I've been looking at alot of different scud or shrimp patterns lately but was just wondering what everybodys favorite was. By the way I am a new member. Thanks!

Fly-Fishing Teen
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Scud Pattern

Here are my favorites listed in order:
1. Kelly's (kglissmeyer1) scud:
Click the image to open in full size.

2. Johnny Utah's UV Diamon Scud:

3. Pat Dorsey's UV Scud:

Larry

Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

flykid15,

Welcome to the forum......I can't help with your question but you picked the right forum to get answers.

I'm just the opposite of you..... Fly-Fishing Geezer

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Where you're located is going to make a big difference.

I've refined my favorite scud pattern after years of fishing the Driftless region of Minnesota. I fish one pattern in two colors predominantly.

I take a normal 3XH size 12 nymph hook, add a gold bead head and give it a bit of curve to the shank. Not too much. Then, I take a heavy lead wire the diameter of the hook shank, and tie that onto the shank with brown thread. This gives the scud a more natural profile, and more weight to get it down quick. Dyed hare's fur scraps make up my dubbing. I use a cut up ziploc bag for the scud back, and finish it off with fine copper wire to divide the body into 7 segments. Then pick out the underside to make the legs.

My two favorite colors of this pattern are natural brown and bright orange. The orange works because the scuds in Minnesota are sometimes infected with a parasite that turns them orange when they die. This is important for the parasite, because the dead scud is now more visible to trout, where it completes is life cycle. The trout stage is important, because trout spawn upstream, meaning the parasite doesn't wash out of the watershed. I found some of these orange scuds and blended different colors until I had the exact color dubbing (when wet) as the scud.

In addition to natural brown and orange, I also always carry cream and pink scuds when I fish the Driftless.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Hey Kid....Welcome.

If I had to depend on one fly to get my fish it would be "the scud". You are certainly on the right track.

Here is mine.......

Old 03-24-2014, 05:47 PM

lurker66 is on a distinguished road

I'm not particular as to which pattern as long as it's an 18 in olive or tan. It's what worked for me. But then again, I'm new too.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Your location would be helpful. Nothing fancy #18s in olive or orange work in the upper Midwest. I need to tie Calftails offering in the right size and color.
jaybo41 and calftail like this.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Like others have mentioned, knowing where you're going to be fishing said scud pattern really helps pinpoint patterns, size and colors. I have found that even within the same region, scud size and color can differ from one watershed to the next. It's always good to have a variety of them on hand.

A generic answer is any scud pattern sized 14-18 in Tan, Gray, Olive and Orange.

A simple one I like is to take two grey olive hackles from an ostrich feather with a case back folded over. Your choice of wrap--mono or wire to secure.

If you want to get really simple, dubbing, wire or mono and then take a lighter to the top of the scud. Just make sure that if you're using mono, you burn BEFORE you wrap. For that reason it's easier to use a wire as the counter wrap.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:05 PM

flykid15 is on a distinguished road

Hey everybody is talking about location I am in the western marylan area but fish pa and wva. Thanks for the input

Fly-Fishing Teen
Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I like Johnny Wilson's Trout Crack. It works wonders on some of the tail waters I fish.