The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Helpful fishing tips....

Make stringing up your rod and tying on a fly the last two things you do before leaviing the vehicle. This reduces the chances of it falling over when leaning up against the vehicle, or you having to walk around it as its sticking out of your vehicle, etc.

Saltwater- SHUFFLE YOUR FEET! (assuming you're in the land of stingrays)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

This is probably pretty obvious to the experienced crew we have reading these, but it was brought to mind by the other thread regarding ferrule breakage: When moving through brush, break down the rod into two parts and carry them butt/reel end forward to avoid rod tip breakage.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

For neoprene waders ware a thin pair of rain or snow pants so the waders slip on and off easy.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Saltwater- SHUFFLE YOUR FEET! (assuming you're in the land of stingrays)
The ray shuffle....It's fun
Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Dont be lazy, if you want to catch the big fish hike in a mile at access points before taking a single cast.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
This is probably pretty obvious to the experienced crew we have reading these, but it was brought to mind by the other thread regarding ferrule breakage: When moving through brush, break down the rod into two parts and carry them butt/reel end forward to avoid rod tip breakage.
Hi Neil,

I have found that when walking through trees or brush that has a trail, it is better to leave the rod strung up and pointing behind you. The problem I have with taking the rod apart is you place a fold in the fly line and the fold tends to catch on twigs or brush. With the rod in one piece and out behind me the fly line is in a straight line and won't get snagged as often. Just a different approach to a problem we all have. I wounder how others do it?

Frank
Old 03-20-2008, 06:13 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I'm with you Frank. Leave it strung up and point behind. In fact this is the way I teach clients to always carry their rods. Even when not in the brush. People have a tendency to let the tip droop to the ground with out noticing. Hit the ground out front and stick a tip, in the one step it takes to notice you'll break that tip.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Frank & Davo (sound's like a rock band)

The reason why I prefer to break the rod down into two pieces when carrying it butt/reel end forward is because I've found that in heavy brush, the line on a long rod left unbroken down tends to catch branches, far enough behind me where it's a problem getting it loose - more so than the occasional catch by the line doubling over where I've split the rod.

Neil
Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Sounds sensible. What your most comfortable with is always the best way!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link for some great stuff to clean up and protect your reels, rods, boat motors, guns, hitch balls, battery terminals, bottom of mower decks to keep grass from sticking, even rejuvenates auto trim and rubber, etc, etc, etc, and the list goes on...... heck I've even used it on older flylines as a conditioner and it worked great!
Works like a solvent but it is made from lanolin(sheep wool oil), so it's pretty much all natural, and has a pleasant smell.
It does work as a penetrant on rusty nuts and bolts, but is more of a rust and corrosion preventative especially effective in salt water applications.
It actually penetrates the pores of the metal, and will not break down with just plain water.

The stuff rocks!!
Fluid Film: Corrosion Preventive, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor