The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Helpful fishing tips....

Okay, I'll play!

First of all, I can wholeheartedly endorse the use of LPS-3. Its excellent for DIY rustproofing on your car, but you have to get a few cans of it.

I have weakness for old crappy guns that I see on the gunstore racks that need to be "rescued" by me. What I do is pick them up and keep them as projects and I restore them one at a time. I always have a gun on the bench that I am reworking. A light spray of LPS-3 and they are good for a long time being stored until I can get at them.

Here is an old Savage 24 in .22LR/.410 that I redid. I parkerized it so it will never rust again, lol.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hmmm, I still need to think of a good tip to stay within the drift of this thread... but I can't think of one. I'm more of the "invent something or improvise" sort of feller. Right now, I am building a line-winder out of an old sewing machine motor. You can strip a reel in a hurry, and wind it back up. The speed is controlled with the sewing machine foot-pedal. I'll post pics when I get it built.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Helpful fishing tips....

When working the beach carry a gallon of water in your vehicle. You can wash the sand and salt off your waders before you put them away. Also good to give the rod and reel a good rinse.
Another good item is electric tape. If a guide or real seat come loose holds tight and not to bulky like duct tape. Leaves less residue when removed .
Safety pin in your fly box serves a multitude of uses : fix a suspender close a vest hole clear a hook eyelet and so on.
Croakies for sun glasses always a smart move in the surf.
As is a rain jacket belted tight on your waist over the waders in sloppy surf.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

One more thing, nothing beats a good cigar to keep the gnats away.
For black flys and no seeums a Bounce dryer sheet hanging from the back of your hat does the trick.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-21-2012, 01:10 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

use a wading staff and drink water

casey

ARFE
Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Helpful fishing tips....

If you wear a light colored hat color the inside brim in with a black sharpie. Improves glare reduction greatly.
Use clippers save your teeth!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 AM

fishingguru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStreams View Post
Here's a tip. Tuck your pant legs into your socks before you put on your waders. It keeps the pants from riding up as you pull up the waders.

Another tip. If you don't have a hook keeper on your rod, just wrap the leader around the reel base and hook the hook on the closest guide, just not in the part of guide that contacts the line.
Great tip! I do this one all the time, makes for a much more comfortable fishing trip.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Boots again.... Older and less flexible, I struggled with getting my boots on over neoprene socks.. While helping an elderly lady move out of her apartment, I found a 3' x 2" piece of heavy aluminum that had been bent to form a shallow concave bottom section. Foam had been taped to the top to create a 3' long, heavy duty shoe horn. I can stand upright, slip the horn into the boot and my foot slides in easily... Saves my back and my time.....