The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Helpful fishing tips....

Give a tip or an idea.

Anyone else have a tough time putting your wading boots on?

A little trick I learned from "The Traveling Flyfisherman" tour years ago was to get your boots wet before you put them on.
When you get to the river grab your boots and dunk them in the river or put them under the tap at the campground, maybe even the tub at the motel. lol

Go about getting your rod ready, preppin the boat, finishing your Coffee and Blueberry Bagel, or whatever..... Just let your boots soften up and stretch out a little before you put them on, this really makes it much easier.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Helpful fishing tips....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
. . . get your boots wet before you put them on.
Fyshstrkr, tried that, but all it did was get my socks wet (you did mean this for bootfoot waders, right?)
Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Helpful fishing tips....

Rod case for under $10.00: PVC pipe and a couple of caps, all available at any place that carries plumbing supplies.

I took my new rod down, found the diameter that would let the rod (in its sleeve) go in easily without rattling around, and then had them cut it to the correct length. It doesn't have a carrying strap, but one could be easily rigged up.

This is great for something like a Cabela's Three Forks or some other lower end rod. They often don't come with cases and this gets good protection without spending as much money as the rod is worth.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Fyshstrkr, tried that, but all it did was get my socks wet (you did mean this for bootfoot waders, right?)

Your killin me here!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Flyfisher for men,

That is a good idea but I suggest you put some foam on the inside of the caps. That way if there is enough room in the tube for the fly rod to move a little back and forth the tip top won't be hitting the hard plastic.

Frank
Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Here's a tip. Tuck your pant legs into your socks before you put on your waders. It keeps the pants from riding up as you pull up the waders.

Another tip. If you don't have a hook keeper on your rod, just wrap the leader around the reel base and hook the hook on the closest guide, just not in the part of guide that contacts the line.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:00 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStreams View Post
Here's a tip. Tuck your pant legs into your socks before you put on your waders. It keeps the pants from riding up as you pull up the waders.
We would go one step further and tape the pants to the socks with duct tape---Not real pretty but effective.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

This Winter I walked into Home Depot and seen a tray that is designed for putting wet and dirty boots in, so you can keep your entryway clean and dry.
Picked one up for our wet wading boots in the vehicle.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:44 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

If you don't let your boots dry out they don't shrink up. If I've had a couple days from the river I hit em with the hose before I leave the house. Your right works great.

Davo

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Carry a small doormat or one of those small rug samples in your car to stand on while you put your boots on & take them off. Carry a stiff bristled nylon brush to clean the mud & leaves & stuff off your boots before you put them away....... & never put your rod on the roof of your car !!!!!