The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 AM

spearman is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V

Hello Guys and Gals,

This is my first posting. I have been a fly fisherman for a few years now with some "cheaper gear". Wife bought me a Sage rod recently as a x-mas present. I have been searching for a Reel that compliments this 8 weight rod and after a search went with the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. I have been lucky enough to goto Alaska every year for the last 4 years as my wife does work there and I tag along when she goes. We also have family in Ashland Oregon and I fish for steelhead on the rogue. But mainly I live in FLorida and have wanted a rod that could catch redfish, snook, bonefish etc. Thought this was an all around good combo as the rod is a 4 piece and I am able to travel with it. My problem is that I have read alot of your reviews on the Orvis reel and they seem all over the place. One in particular bummed me out saying that the reel was not really a saltwater reel. I looked at the date of most of these reviews and they are in 2005 and 2006. Orvis says they redesigned the Battenkill recently and was wondering if I made a bad choice or if anyone has used the "new generation Battenkill" in salt and fresh and how they felt about it. Thanks for any info.

Joe
Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V

I have last years model for my 5 weight and I've been generally happy with it. They did change it around a little this year, though and I think the main difference is that they made the spool a little deeper. The main complaints with the old model seemed to be that they were too shallow with not enough room for much backing. For me, it's been fine but I've never used it in the salt. They do offer a salt water version that might be better suited to your needs.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...subcat_id=7644
Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM

Thanks, I am glad you are happy with yours. The link that you sent me is to the one that I bought. I was not sure if they had one specific for salt water though. I appreciate they info. Should receive it on Monday.

joe
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I think they're excellent reels, and fairly light. The new models have sealed drags that don't have to be cleaned.
Randy Kadish
Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Well if looks count they have did a good job with the new design.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Just got the reel in today and your right it is beautiful. I am a dork so I paid 15 extra bucks and got my name engraved on the side and they also preloaded the backing and line. It advertises 275 ft of backing for an 8 weight but looks like they probably left alot of that out. I guess maybe only 150ft w put on. Of course the wind today is gusting at 30 plus in florida in my back yard. I know I should be practicing even in heavy wind but sometimes I have been known to look like it is my first time casting when the wind is this heavy. Anyway going on a few trips here in the next couple of months. Cabo on Saturday with the wife. I know it is not the best time of year but thought I might tag along and just see if I can locate any fish on the beach. Never been there before. Anyway I will let everyone know how it performs. Thanks again. If anyone has any advise for an 8 weight in cabo I could use it. I think it might be a little underpowered but sure would love to catch a small Rooster in the surf.

Joe
Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 AM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

I havn't used the reel, but I was just curious about what your wife does for work in Alaska? Is it part time or contract work? Healthcare?

So Cool that you get to "tag along" and test out the gear she bought you.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearman View Post
Hello Guys and Gals,

This is my first posting. I have been a fly fisherman for a few years now with some "cheaper gear". Wife bought me a Sage rod recently as a x-mas present. I have been searching for a Reel that compliments this 8 weight rod and after a search went with the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. I have been lucky enough to goto Alaska every year for the last 4 years as my wife does work there and I tag along when she goes. We also have family in Ashland Oregon and I fish for steelhead on the rogue. But mainly I live in FLorida and have wanted a rod that could catch redfish, snook, bonefish etc. Thought this was an all around good combo as the rod is a 4 piece and I am able to travel with it. My problem is that I have read alot of your reviews on the Orvis reel and they seem all over the place. One in particular bummed me out saying that the reel was not really a saltwater reel. I looked at the date of most of these reviews and they are in 2005 and 2006. Orvis says they redesigned the Battenkill recently and was wondering if I made a bad choice or if anyone has used the "new generation Battenkill" in salt and fresh and how they felt about it. Thanks for any info.

Joe

Joe,

I have the Battenkill L/A 9wt and love it (bought it before they discontinued it for "saltwater"). I fish regularly with it here in the keys, Dania beach, North/South Biscayne and Flamingo. It truly isnt designed for as much saltwater fishing as I do, but if you take care of your gear, rinse it off after each use and keep it oiled you shouldnt have any problems. If I use this reel alot in one day I strip the reel down to the spool and give it a good rinse, then wind on the backing and give it a rinse and so on. after I am done with this I take the spool off and give it a squirt of oil.

Hope this helps