The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By hopescooter
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By hopescooter
  • 1 Post By oldnewguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 AM

hopescooter is on a distinguished road
Default Turning the corner

I started fly fishing last fall and after many frustrating outings and many skunked days, I feel like I finally turned a corner lately. I am sure it has more to do with just the weather and fish being more active and luck more than anything else, but it's nice to hit the local rivers with confidence to get few fish. I used to hate nymphing, I still do in some ways, but I finally started get fish on nymphs lately and now it doesn't look half as bad. I still hate all the tangles, all the setup that comes with it, but it is what it is.

But the action I love the most is throwing dries in my new 3 weight rod, laying the fly out there and the anticipation of a strike and stripping all the line to ensure there's no slack and a good drift, I guess this is what fly fishing is about. I missed a lot of hookups, but still learning and enjoying. I got my biggest brown and rainbow(I rarely get rainbows in provo river) yet last week in lower provo.

I still go to river without any expectations and hoping not to get completely skunked, but unlike before, I take it much slow now. I don't just randomly start throwing flies and try to cover as much area as possible and get as many casts out as possible. Now I take time to observe the fish activity, insect activity, relax, take in the surroundings, walk with my dogs to find that secluded spot with some activity, all in all..I am enjoying my time out on river a lot more.
I used to hate Lower provo a month ago, so much so I would drive longer to get to middle provo. I used to think fish are so used to pressure it would be impossible to fool them, at least for someone like me. The thing I've realized is that confidence is the key. No matter the river, the conditions and surroundings, I need to believe in my abilities and whatever techniques I know so far to get it done and enjoy.

Sorry for sort of rantish(perspective) post, Hoping to explore other rivers/streams in Idaho, Wyoming and of course Utah this summer.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turning the corner

Sounds like you are making some really good progress and your new perspective on the whole experience is really what makes a day on the water fun. Lots of small streams over here in Western Wyoming to put that 3 wt to use, give me a shout if you want to fish together later in the summer.

Larry
hopescooter likes this.

Larry
Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 AM

hopescooter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sounds like you are making some really good progress and your new perspective on the whole experience is really what makes a day on the water fun. Lots of small streams over here in Western Wyoming to put that 3 wt to use, give me a shout if you want to fish together later in the summer.

Larry
Thanks Larry. I've been loosely eyeing the wind river range(late summer backpacking) and/or taking out my canoe up on green river lakes area sometime in summer. I will definitely keep you in loop, should something concrete come of it.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 PM

oldnewguy will become famous soon enougholdnewguy will become famous soon enough

For a minute, I thought I wrote this.

As a beginner, I enjoyed the environment first, learning a new skill second, and then, finally catching some fish.

As long as I learned something new and improved my technique I felt a had a good time on the water.

Tight lines,

Joe
hopescooter likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopescooter View Post
Thanks Larry. I've been loosely eyeing the wind river range(late summer backpacking) and/or taking out my canoe up on green river lakes area sometime in summer. I will definitely keep you in loop, should something concrete come of it.
A trip into the Winds is something very special, but with the snow we have this year, it will probably be late July or early August to be dry enough for a pack trip.

Larry

Larry