The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 PM

9ason is on a distinguished road
Default Texas Crappie and Bass

Greetings all!

But I found this site when I was first starting out fly fishing a few months ago and looking for some information. I thought I would introduce myself with a few pics of our latest fishing outing in Waco, TX.

Last weekend, my wife and I, and my sister's family visited my parents. It was the first time they met our daughter (3 months) and all the cousins played together (as much as a 4yr old, 3-16month olds and a 3 month old could play together).

Any way back to fishing. My parents house sits on two ponds stocked with bass, crappie and catfish (among other things). This weekend I thought I would try out my new Orvis BMA reel I got with free Gen III Class V Extra Sink Tip Fly Line. This line worked for me from the dock and the dam, but the shore was a bit too shallow for it. A couple of the fish we caught are shown below.

Click the image to open in full size.
Crappie: 1.25lbs 13.5-in (actually measured)

Bass: 1.5-2lbs (estimating - largest fish to date on a fly rod, hence the picture )

My wife only caught the one crappie, but she didn't fish long at all, she tended to the kiddos most of the weekend. But I caught that bass and a couple other crappies about the size shown and more smaller, I also caught a channel catfish (no picture) and a few small bass.

I used only one fly to catch everything on. Size 10, black bead chain eyes, red chenille, and gold mylar tubing, very simple, very effective.

My dad and brother in law also caught a bunch but they weren't fly fishing.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas Crappie and Bass

Congrats on the "New Addition".
Looks like fun, I bet theres a new float tube in your near future? Gonna be seein Grandma & Grandpa alot.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group man! Congrats on the little one, I'll have one by October myself.

If you do want a float tube, and a barely used Outcast Fish Cat sounds good, let me know. Its worked very well for me, I'm just moving from the metromess to San Antonio, and all the water I fish down here is wadeable. I've got good flippers and a pump for it too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr
Congrats on the "New Addition".
Looks like fun, I bet theres a new float tube in your near future? Gonna be seein Grandma & Grandpa alot.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Welcome to the group man! Congrats on the little one, I'll have one by October myself.
Thanks!

Quote:
If you do want a float tube, and a barely used Outcast Fish Cat sounds good, let me know. Its worked very well for me, I'm just moving from the metromess to San Antonio, and all the water I fish down here is wadeable. I've got good flippers and a pump for it too.
I might be interested, but I would have to convince my wife With the little one, we have less expendable cash laying around
Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Yeah, I need to doo the math and figure out what to sell it for. I'll likely post it in the classifieds section before too long.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I need to doo the math and figure out what to sell it for. I'll likely post it in the classifieds section before too long.
Let me know so I can ask the Missus, and I live in Wichita Falls and Ft. Worth is not too far away to do a face to face, plus there are more fishing shops (Cabelas, Orvis, etc.) in the metromess than here
Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not there often these days, working in San Antonio and busy while home on the weekends. We'll figure something out if you wanna do the deal.

Witchita Falls? poor guy! 2hrs Closer to Colorado, I guess.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Witchita Falls? poor guy! 2hrs Closer to Colorado, I guess.
Came from Lubbock