The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM

hubcityflyman is on a distinguished road
Default new to fly fishing

About to buy a new set up and i think i am going to go with the TFO BVK 5 wt ,and either mangrove or BVK Rod. Whats some of halls thoughts
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: new to fly fishing

I am not personally familiar with the rods you are looking at, but a 5 wt is a good all around rod for many types of fishing. What do you fish for?

You will probably get more replies and help if you post your questions in the General Fly Fishing Discussion Section.
General Discussion - The North American Fly Fishing Forum
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

HubCity: I moved your thread to the General Discussion area, hopefully you will get more responses. I haven't used either of those rods, but they get good reviews.

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 PM

hubcityflyman is on a distinguished road

I live in Lubbock tx. A ittle saltwater got a 8wt for that. But mainly New Mexico and Colorado, got buddies with cabins on the San Juan monster browns I have heard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I'm not familiar with either rod but have heard good things about the BVK rod.5WT is a good all around rod to me for trout.
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum,

Sorry I can't help with your question.......

Tight lines,

Joe
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM

barefoot t will become famous soon enoughbarefoot t will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the sport! I love my TFO rod and the price was reasonable to boot. 5 wt. is a good place to start but don't worry, you will soon have more rods than money anyway.
mridenour and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:36 AM

lkyboots is on a distinguished road

Good weight and I have the same rod, a good rod for the money.
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:34 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

I have not personally cast one of the rods you're looking at, but I've seen where quite a few people have bought them and been very pleased. This is mostly from reviews from people that have them at several different locations.
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I fish a BVK 5wt about 90% of the time. I really like the way I can still cast in lots of wind. It has the backbone to turn a big wild Cutt and still can drop a dry with some finesse. Some people complain of breaking. I don't really know how they are doing that. I've put this rod through some rough stuff and even fell down a couple times (I'm fat and clumsy...lol) and it is solid as a rock. I fish straight 5WT WFF and it fishes fine but some claim a half-weight heavier is better.

It has a great warranty and service is fast and hassle-free. Great rod for the money.

Are you planning on getting a BVK reel? I honestly think you would do better with something else. For the money you would be better served to get an Allen Trout II or Kraken. I'm not so impressed with the BVK reel.
andrew_rigsby likes this.