Stillwatershop

A

adrian191

Has anyone ever ordered from stillwater fly shop? I ordered a greys rod 11 days ago and it still hasnt come in. I called them 3 times and they said they cant get in contact with greys(btw they said they didnt have the rod in stock so they had to order it from greys) Did anyone have crappy service from them?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Drop shipping from the manufacturer is nothing new in today's marketplace, so it doesn't surprise me at all that they didn't have the rod in stock. 11 days doesn't seem out of line to me at this point.

On their site they advertise 'free shipping'...'no sales tax'...and a '100% satisfaction guarantee', it seems that they are geared toward satisfying their customers.

Once again, 11 days in my opinion isn't really out of line, so if I was you I'd consider giving them more time to square the situation up before going on an international forum and bashing them, especially since they aren't here to tell their side of the story.

But that's me, as I've gotten older I've become more patient on matters such as this.:)

A

adrian191

Drop shipping from the manufacturer is nothing new in today's marketplace, so it doesn't surprise me at all that they didn't have the rod in stock. 11 days doesn't seem out of line to me at this point.

On their site they advertise 'free shipping'...'no sales tax'...and a '100% satisfaction guarantee', it seems that they are geared toward satisfying their customers.

Once again, 11 days in my opinion isn't really out of line, so if I was you I'd consider giving them more time to square the situation up before going on an international forum and bashing them, especially since they aren't here to tell their side of the story.

But that's me, as I've gotten older I've become more patient on matters such as this.:)
ok. But when i ordered it on the site it was listed as in stock. And they didnt even let me know that they didnt have it. I called them 7 days after purchasing and then they told me the didnt have it. THats why i was dissapointed.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I've ordered from Stillwater and have had many positive experiences. The only time I had anything close to a negative experience was my last experience. I ordered a gift that was backordered at the manufacturer for some time--not their fault. My issue is that I had to place the calls to seek out the status versus receiving updates. Once I got them on the line they were incredibly helpful. Despite this, I wouldn't hesitate to order from or recommend them.

tsubeta04

Reaction score
I would contact them directly. I went through a similar experience on the only time I've purchased from them. I purchased and while it said in stock, the items were back ordered. A month and a half later, several calls from me, and several emails later, I got my items.

When I spoke with them, I made it clear that all I was wanting was an update and upfront service. I don't mind waiting but at least update me.

Best of luck,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

adrian191

I've ordered from Stillwater and have had many positive experiences. The only time I had anything close to a negative experience was my last experience. I ordered a gift that was backordered at the manufacturer for some time--not their fault. My issue is that I had to place the calls to seek out the status versus receiving updates. Once I got them on the line they were incredibly helpful. Despite this, I wouldn't hesitate to order from or recommend them.
thanks for the info

joshw

Reaction score
Same here, I ordered an item from them and received a call two days later informing me that the "instock item" was not available anymore. I try and get all my items from my local flyshops even if they have to order them and it takes longer than the online shops. The service is worth the wait and extra money in taxes.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I think we maybe both ordered Abel gear from Stillwater.

I am a native Oregonian so I love the 0% sales tax, notoriously cheap so love free shipping. My complaint comes from being spoiled and lazy in a Hi-tech world. When I logged in to their system I expect real time updates because Amazon has spoiled me silly with that. I just had to keep telling my self they aren't Amazon and I can't expect world class IT infrastructure at bargain basement prices. So I went old school and picked up the phone :punk:

All in all....yeah I would order again from them

11 days seems long but they are held hostage by the mfg inventory in a drop ship situation.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
"In Stock" means they can get it for you.

I have had the problem with various shops..everything from line-rods. Just bad business.

Same with the Grey's rod I have. Ordered through local shop....Told me 5-7.
It was over a month!

I am to the point now with rods....If I cant cast them first. I am not buying.

decker1313

Reaction score
I ordered from them a couple weeks ago and received my item 6 days later. I am guessing your problem is simply that they didn't have the item in stock. Perhaps they have a drop ship agreement with grey's and there is some issue there. I wish you luck.

M

mridenour

ok. But when i ordered it on the site it was listed as in stock. And they didnt even let me know that they didnt have it. I called them 7 days after purchasing and then they told me the didnt have it. THats why i was dissapointed.
It only takes a second in online ordering for something to go from "In Stock" to "Out of Stock". Someone could have ordered the last one and the site hadn't adjusted inventory yet or the inventory could have just plain been wrong (I worked in a warehouse before and the darndest things happen) or the wonderful digital world of the internet could have just malfunctioned. We now trust in something most of us don't understand to keep track of things.

If the time it takes them to get it from the manufacturer is too long...just cancel your order and buy elsewhere. Stuff like this happens. It isn't like anyone is trying to rip you off or anything.

hopescooter

Reaction score
Recently ordered orvis rod from them, took like 15 days in total, but they did let know me in advance it would take like 10 days or so for rod to reach from Orvis to their place first. They didn't have the one I wanted in stock.

ts47

Reaction score
Isn't Greys part of Hardy, that was just purchased by Pure Fishing? If yes, Pure moved the warehouses to a different location. EVERYTHING Hardy is hard to get right now unless it is in stock. You may be experiencing a one-time problem caused by Pure.

I've bought a couple things from Stillwater with good results.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

willowrun

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I am in the middle of trying to get my store credit from one of those trade up programs (not Stillwater) that was talked highly of on this forum. It's been almost 11 weeks since I sent 2 rods in. Took 2 months for them to finally confirm the price we had agreed on, and it has been 15 days since I placed an order (that was in stock and going to be shipped the next day), and when I called weds. to find out where my order was..... no idea "I'll have him call you back right away". Two days later, and still nothing. People complain about not supporting non mega businesses, but if I'm gonna get the same **** service as a big box store, I'll go for the cheaper price any day. Sorry to derail, but there is no excuse for not getting back with a customer.

jbird

Reaction score
I know these guys. they are a full service guide shop. Ive fished with them and been in their "shop". They are not (maybe this has changed) a stocked fly shop at all. These guys are hard core guides that fish some of the best waters in the west. What I know about them is, fishin comes first.
Really great guys that have fly fishing in their blood. I never even knew they had an e-store. They tend to keep in stock only the types of products they use in their fishing.

A

adrian191

it finally came in yesterday(friday) Th sent it with priority 2 day mail and put a 50 dollar insurance on it . So it took them 13 or 14 days to ship. They also sent me emails pretty often so im not that disapointed anymore.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Adrain,

Don't forget to let us know when it arrives. I had a rod replaced by Hardy last year, if the rod is not in stock in the US. it can take 3 weeks to get them from the UK. I did eventually receive the replacement but it took a while. Whenever we buy from the computer or phone as opposed to a shop where we can carry it out the door with, there is always the chance of a delay.

Ard

bear 007

Reaction score
I ordered a reel from them last year, they told me up front it was out of stock but they could get in within a couple of days, I called back two days later to make sure and they were loading it with backing and had it out that afternoon. I would definitely do business with them again.

comeonavs

Reaction score
They sound more like a distributor than a retailer. Which being in distribution myself we live on low margin high volume. We are always held hostage to the vendors inventory so I will consider them for online purchases.

I try to support Front Range Anglers with as much of my purchase as possible unless the price difference is so dramatic I will shop online. I don't enjoy paying a few % higher and the higher sales tax of Boulder county, but they do a great job so its worth it to me.

Back to Stillwater though, they are an online retailer I will use.