The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   went to Cabelas (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/3486-went-cabelas.html)

Surfin the Susquehanna 03-01-2008 11:00 PM

went to Cabelas

WOW. That's a fly fishermans candystore. I know it's like the Lowe's of fly fishing and it stresses all the local shops, but it's still quite impressive. I spend $500 in the matter of an hour on all kinds of toys. I picked up a fly tying beginner set as I've never tied a fly before. It's quite interesting. I think I found a new sub-hobby of fly fishing. One day with it and I sucessfully tied a Black wooly bugger, a hares-ear nymph and a pheasant-tail nymph. They all look half decent too. I also hooked myself up with a set of GII dry+ waders from the bargain-cave for $72 becasue they had a marker spot on them near the label at the top. I searched for a rip or a tear near the mark but found nothing. If it does leak up there, who cares, I'll never test them to that depth anyway. I also got a cheap Reddington 8 weight combo, a CSR reel, wading boots, a full brim hat, and some accessories.

Frank Whiton 03-02-2008 09:08 AM

Re: went to Cabelas

Hi Jeff,

Sounds like you did alright for yourself. It won't be long and you will be tying up a storm. Look at some of the totals in the FAQ section. You can learn a lot just by studying the photos.

Make sure you give us a report on the waders, rod and reel.

Frank

FlyDog 03-02-2008 09:38 AM

We've got a new Cabelas about 2 hrs. away in Reno Nev. We've been up there once and going to make a trip up there this Fri. What a cool place with the huge acquarium(sp) and all the wildlife displays.
Not to mention the nice little list I going:thumbsup:

pierce652 03-02-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfin the Susquehanna (Post 22245)
I searched for a rip or a tear near the mark but found nothing. If it does leak up there, who cares, I'll never test them to that depth anyway.

Surfin...just so that you know, waders purchased in the Bargan Cave have a 30 day return policy since they cant test them prior to sale. If they leak just bring them back.

MrEsox 03-02-2008 05:55 PM

LOL ya been there done that, I didnt spend that one a rod/reel, but it was close. They got a lot of stuff there. The biggest thing I find there is the amount of tieing material they have. To me, it is a great store and the people there are great at their jobs.

Surfin the Susquehanna 03-02-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEsox (Post 22288)
To me, it is a great store and the people there are great at their jobs.

MrEsox,
I went there on a Wednesday to avoid the weekend crowd and the gentleman in the fly fishing area spent about 20 minutes with me going over the fly tying kits and what was in each and went out of his way to help me. He then saw me looking at the reels and helped me out there as well.

I'll definately be going back.

panfisher1125 03-16-2008 04:51 PM

i have always found cabelas to be very helpful.