The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road
Default went to Cabelas

WOW. That's a fly fishermans candystore. I know it's like the Lowe's of fly fishing and it stresses all the local shops, but it's still quite impressive. I spend $500 in the matter of an hour on all kinds of toys. I picked up a fly tying beginner set as I've never tied a fly before. It's quite interesting. I think I found a new sub-hobby of fly fishing. One day with it and I sucessfully tied a Black wooly bugger, a hares-ear nymph and a pheasant-tail nymph. They all look half decent too. I also hooked myself up with a set of GII dry+ waders from the bargain-cave for $72 becasue they had a marker spot on them near the label at the top. I searched for a rip or a tear near the mark but found nothing. If it does leak up there, who cares, I'll never test them to that depth anyway. I also got a cheap Reddington 8 weight combo, a CSR reel, wading boots, a full brim hat, and some accessories.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: went to Cabelas

Hi Jeff,

Sounds like you did alright for yourself. It won't be long and you will be tying up a storm. Look at some of the totals in the FAQ section. You can learn a lot just by studying the photos.

Make sure you give us a report on the waders, rod and reel.

Frank
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

We've got a new Cabelas about 2 hrs. away in Reno Nev. We've been up there once and going to make a trip up there this Fri. What a cool place with the huge acquarium(sp) and all the wildlife displays.
Not to mention the nice little list I going
Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 AM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfin the Susquehanna View Post
I searched for a rip or a tear near the mark but found nothing. If it does leak up there, who cares, I'll never test them to that depth anyway.
Surfin...just so that you know, waders purchased in the Bargan Cave have a 30 day return policy since they cant test them prior to sale. If they leak just bring them back.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:55 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

LOL ya been there done that, I didnt spend that one a rod/reel, but it was close. They got a lot of stuff there. The biggest thing I find there is the amount of tieing material they have. To me, it is a great store and the people there are great at their jobs.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEsox View Post
To me, it is a great store and the people there are great at their jobs.
MrEsox,
I went there on a Wednesday to avoid the weekend crowd and the gentleman in the fly fishing area spent about 20 minutes with me going over the fly tying kits and what was in each and went out of his way to help me. He then saw me looking at the reels and helped me out there as well.

I'll definately be going back.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:51 PM

panfisher1125 is on a distinguished road

i have always found cabelas to be very helpful.