The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 02:06 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road
Default Am I over thinking this?

I'm needing a reel for my 3wt CT and really like the TR-1 from Abel. I've always been taught to spend more for the rod than the reel. I think I spent 150 on the rod so am I crazy for putting a $300 reel on it?

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 04-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Am I over thinking this?

Hi,

This is something you will need to decide. If you want someone to talk you out of it I can do that for you. However, if you want the reel and can acquire it without having to incur debt or guilt on yourself you might as well get what you want.

Reason not to: You can use an LL Bean Pocket Water (just like a CFO) on a 3 weight for under 100 bucks & they are classy reels.

Reason to: If you really believe you'll be happier with the performance of the Abel then buy it.

I have a few expensive reels, when I say expensive I mean 500 dollars or more. I use these reels to catch salmon weighing between 7 and 44 pounds. They look good but they also are solid equipment for big game fishing.

For my light rods I use any of the following: Hardy Lightweight Series Reels - Orvis CFO - Cortland LTD Graphite reel - Hardy Marquis #5 - I have several LL Bean Reals that do very well also. Those are my trout reels, I didn't pay 300 for any of them and they are all great for trout fishing.

But if you are always going to want one of the Abel reels then you might as well get it done now.

Ard
ts47 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

If you don't have other things you need to spend the money on go ahead. You can reel a 3WT with a LOT of less expensive reels that will do a great job though.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

Well, yeah, you probably are over thinking it a bit. Abel makes very nice reels, and it will be nice and well made and light, but it's for a 3wt, so there's a good chance you'll never really use the drag, let alone put it to the test. It will likely last you a lifetime though. It would be hard to make the case that you NEED a $300 reel for a 3wt CT, but of course if the fly fishing industry (or any other industry) only meet our needs then this wouldn't really be a capitalist country.

If you want it, and can afford it, go for it. But there are any number of less expensive reels that will adequately meet your needs.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:28 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja501 View Post
I'm needing a reel for my 3wt CT and really like the TR-1 from Abel. I've always been taught to spend more for the rod than the reel. I think I spent 150 on the rod so am I crazy for putting a $300 reel on it?
If you want it and can afford it buy it. Do you need an Abel TR-1 on a 3 weight. Well, no. It's simply a click/pawl reel. There are others such as the Pocket Water by LL Bean, the Drift by Reddington, etc., that will get done what you want to get done on a 3 weight. Do I need a Loop Opti Creek on my 3 weight - absolutely not. But it's a beaut!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:32 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Yup as others said that is a beautiful reel, probably overkill for a 3wt, but if you can afford it and want it go ahead.
I have a $300 click/pawl reel on a 1wt, but then again I have a older used Ross Rhythm for a Sage ZXL 3wt.

Be honest its a line holder , not a reel in a 3wt trout situation. But it sure is a nice one, so if you want it...get it.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:32 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

If it pleases you then fish with it. That is all that matters. I sometimes fish with a Kineya reel on a Berkley fiberglass rod. Have fun!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road

Any suggestions of alternatives that are well made that look nice?

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 04-10-2014, 03:18 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja501 View Post

...am I crazy for putting a $300 reel on it?
Totally your decision, but to me (personally) that sounds like a lot of money to spend on line storage.

But that's just me, I have never dropped more than a hundred dollars (and change) on a fly reel. My buddy always buys the most expensive reels that he can, but I can't recall a single moment fishing together that the subject of "reel performance" came up (other than a steelhead trip to Erie, PA about 12 years ago when I was fishing a $19 Cabela's reel and annoying the **** out of him with the ultra-loud click drag).

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-10-2014, 03:30 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

I have the 7'-6" long 3 wt CT, and I bought Redington's 2/3 Drift reel to match. The balance is great!
Both the Drift and the Abel are click-and-pawl, so there's no difference in sound.
And I agree with the others - - I've never used the reel as a drag. It's just a line holder.
However, if you simply want to buy the Abel for aesthetic reasons (for the same reasons we buy fancy watches instead of an equally functional $15 digital watch), that's up to you. Enjoy it!