so I'm thinking of doing a Fly Fishing themed road trip.
Snowboarding season is almost over (April 20th is closing weekend) and I'm thinking of taking of that following monday or tuesday for a road trip. My current work schedule allows for plenty of free time. so i have no time restraints: other then being back in Denver CO before MAY 11th!!!! which gives me 19 days if i leave Monday after snow season is over and come back night before May 11th.
but it doesn't have to be 19 days, i don't mind if it ended up being 12 days or 15 days, it really doesn't matter. basically if i go on this trip, and I'm only half way through by May 9th, ill just pack up and drive back to CO no matter where i am.
i have few main stops i would like to make to visit friends, family and accomplish some Fly Fishing goals:
I will be Camping or hitting up Hostels along the way when not staying with friends/family. as i mentioned before I'm on no particular schedule other then having to be back in Denver before May 11th, planning to leave on/after April 21st.
so far ideal plan is: (i live in Denver CO)
CO - WY - MT - Calgary, CAN - WA - OR - ID - CO
1. WY - Cutt Slam: try to get this done in 2 or 3 days, catch all 4 Cutts and get my certificate
2. MT - I would like to catch Bull Trout and Arctic Grayling
- i have a friend i would like to visit in Helena MT and fish around there.
3. CAN - I have some family in Calgary, any Trout species only found in that region?
4. WA - nowhere in particular in WA, just drive through it on way down to OR, maybe go for some Steelhead?
5. OR - i have friends in Bend i'd like to visit and fish around there. (anything area specific?)
5. ID - Boise ID sounds like a fun place, any good fishing around there?
6. CO - Head back home to Denver.
so this is the wishful thinking route, with only MUST STOP location being: Helena, MT, Calgary, CAN & Bend, OR. everything else i don't mind traveling/changing route with in these states to visit some MUST VISIT Fly Fishing Spots.
So please if you see anything along/around this route and can suggest MUST GOTO fishing spots, please give me your ideas. If you can link Maps/Links/Fish etc, would be appreciated.