The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default planning Fly Fishing road trip, (CO-WY-MT-CAN-WA-OR-ID-CO) could use some help

so I'm thinking of doing a Fly Fishing themed road trip.
Snowboarding season is almost over (April 20th is closing weekend) and I'm thinking of taking of that following monday or tuesday for a road trip. My current work schedule allows for plenty of free time. so i have no time restraints: other then being back in Denver CO before MAY 11th!!!! which gives me 19 days if i leave Monday after snow season is over and come back night before May 11th.
but it doesn't have to be 19 days, i don't mind if it ended up being 12 days or 15 days, it really doesn't matter. basically if i go on this trip, and I'm only half way through by May 9th, ill just pack up and drive back to CO no matter where i am.

i have few main stops i would like to make to visit friends, family and accomplish some Fly Fishing goals:

I will be Camping or hitting up Hostels along the way when not staying with friends/family. as i mentioned before I'm on no particular schedule other then having to be back in Denver before May 11th, planning to leave on/after April 21st.

so far ideal plan is: (i live in Denver CO)
CO - WY - MT - Calgary, CAN - WA - OR - ID - CO

Click the image to open in full size.

Goals:
1. WY - Cutt Slam: try to get this done in 2 or 3 days, catch all 4 Cutts and get my certificate
2. MT - I would like to catch Bull Trout and Arctic Grayling
- i have a friend i would like to visit in Helena MT and fish around there.
3. CAN - I have some family in Calgary, any Trout species only found in that region?
4. WA - nowhere in particular in WA, just drive through it on way down to OR, maybe go for some Steelhead?
5. OR - i have friends in Bend i'd like to visit and fish around there. (anything area specific?)
5. ID - Boise ID sounds like a fun place, any good fishing around there?
6. CO - Head back home to Denver.

so this is the wishful thinking route, with only MUST STOP location being: Helena, MT, Calgary, CAN & Bend, OR. everything else i don't mind traveling/changing route with in these states to visit some MUST VISIT Fly Fishing Spots.

So please if you see anything along/around this route and can suggest MUST GOTO fishing spots, please give me your ideas. If you can link Maps/Links/Fish etc, would be appreciated.

thank you
mridenour, wjl and ejsell like this.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: planning Fly Fishing road trip, (CO-WY-MT-CAN-WA-OR-ID-CO) could use some help

What no Golden Trout?

I'm a little pressed for time, yet from what I discovered over the past year I would personally adjust the route some. I'll try and ammend this post tomorrow.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:29 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: planning Fly Fishing road trip, (CO-WY-MT-CAN-WA-OR-ID-CO) could use some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
What no Golden Trout?
I'm a little pressed for time, yet from what I discovered over the past year I would personally adjust the route some. I'll try and ammend this post tomorrow.
B.E.F.
got it covered.... i hope...as long as i can catch GOLDEN Trout on next trip.
i have a 3 night camping trip planned for California (Sierras/Mammoth areas) later in May, already have flights booked and camp sites and all.
so while i would like to swing by CA (North and South to visit friends) i just don't think 3 weeks is enough. so for this trip ill stick to states i just listed.
but thanks for input......keep it coming.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like that is going to be a blast.

But...WOW...Thats some mileage.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:48 AM

yea I'm actually coming up on my 100K serves very soon (just passed 97K)
i drive quite a bit for fun anyways. it helps having VW GOLF TDI
average fuel economy over last 97K miles 42.1 MPG, so i welcome the miles.
just might have to find a good dealer to do my 100K service on the road.

if for any reason i have to turn back early, and only hit CO-WY-MT-CAN-back to CO that'll be around 2200-2300 miles,
if i go as wanted and visit WA and OR and ID that'll make it for 3200+ miles RT? not too bad
Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 AM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

I have no advice here, just very, very, jealous. Sounds like it will be a good time, you guys that live in the Rockies are spoiled my wife and I went to vail for a few days two years ago and loved it.

Enjoy the trip!

Ryan
Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
got it covered.... i hope...as long as i can catch GOLDEN Trout on next trip.
i have a 3 night camping trip planned for California (Sierras/Mammoth areas) later in May, already have flights booked and camp sites and all.
so while i would like to swing by CA (North and South to visit friends) i just don't think 3 weeks is enough. so for this trip ill stick to states i just listed.
Well, what if I could tell you of a virtual "sure thing" and easy access in Montana for those Goldens making only the tiniest adjustment in your route?

In any case, though I'll leave it to the Wyoming guys to advise on their area (quite a few here on the forum), and will suggest you get your best advice about Montana, in fact all states from their residents, here is what I would suggest as a slight change when in Montana & Idaho.

It looks like you're passing through Bozeman. Just South of there along the Gallatin above Big Sky there is an access road (Portal Creek) which is roughly 6-7 miles long till you reach its end (and it will get you from 5,800-8,000' elev.). From there you walk the very obvious and well marked trail to 9,000'-roughly 2.4 miles and you will find yourself at Golden Trout Lakes. There you will find nothing but Golden Trout, and some quite nice ones at that, anxious to take dries and just like that, you have your Golden.......Though the drive up the road might be tough on that little Golf.

California Golden Trout - Montana Field Guide

Golden Trout Lakes - Hiking trip | EveryTrail

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=59404

Further, though you need to go to Helena, for Grayling though there may be good spots north of Helena the one place i hear over and over is the Wisdom River, coincidentally by the town of Wisdom. That said, there is what looks like a good spot just north of Helena.

Arctic Grayling - Montana Field Guide

NH Tracker

Finally, though you could try for Bull Trout in Montana, and though they are supposedly somewhat distributed the relative density we found was low....Most of all however, you are only allowed to target Bull Trout (in 2013) in 3-4 specific places, none of which it is my understanding without a boat were easy access (had to pack in with horses taking a week or so). (though believe you may have needed a special permit/catch card to do so...in those areas) but all in all though I'm not privey to "special spots" you could try up around Kalispell........Perhaps even Canada might be a MUCH better bet.

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=58583

Bull Trout - Montana Field Guide

In any case, though we kept be suggested places in Mt., in the end we decided our best chance not heading so far north was in Idaho's Clearwater Basin (further south than your intended route). In fact, that is where we will be heading to for them.

http://www.nwcouncil.org/media/118003/a08_fishery.pdf

Just some thoughts, I have perhaps 100 .pdf and web links I researched to be able to go to somewhere that neither of us had been, drive right to a spot and toss a fly in and find what we were looking for......For the most part it worked. What didn't was our tight schedule and other issues unrelated.

IOW....If we had stuck to the plan we would have caught everything we wanted (Bull, Brook, Brown, WS Cutthroat, Golden, Grayling, Lake, Mountain Whitefish, Rainbow and perhaps even Redband) all in a week.

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

BTW.....Check the state fishing regulations! Many rivers and areas are CLOSED to fishing during the time you intend on taking your trip.

B.E.F.
dhayden likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Last edited by grtlksmarlin; 04-11-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM

wjl is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a blast.
Check spring snow pack, the further north the more snow on the ground.
Post a report and pictures as you go or when you get back.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 AM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road

Good luck on your trip! Sounds like a lot of fun. I am hoping to tack a big fly fishing trip my self in the next year.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
It looks like you're passing through Bozeman. Just South of there along the Gallatin above Big Sky there is an access road (Portal Creek) which is roughly 6-7 miles long till you reach its end (and it will get you from 5,800-8,000' elev.). From there you walk the very obvious and well marked trail to 9,000'-roughly 2.4 miles and you will find yourself at Golden Trout Lakes. There you will find nothing but Golden Trout, and some quite nice ones at that, anxious to take dries and just like that, you have your Golden.......Though the drive up the road might be tough on that little Golf.
B.E.F.
great thanks, thats some good info, i will look into everything you listed.
GOLDENS do some very tempting.
as long as its not 4x4 only road, GOLF will do just fine.
with snow tires on, skid plate, and chains in the trunk just in case, this thing is nearly unstoppable

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Quote:
[/COLOR]BTW.....Check the state fishing regulations! Many rivers and areas are CLOSED to fishing during the time you intend on taking your trip.
B.E.F.
good point. I'm looking into this now.
if i can't fish i might still go on a trip just for the drive and to visit some national parks.

WY- open all year around
MT- March 1st - Feb , but yes there are some closures.
CAN - i think its all year around, but wow its quite expensive for non-residents
WA - open all year around
OR - i think its all year around

so as long as there's some fishing to be had along the way, i still hope to go on this trip and make the best of it