The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Fly fishing Yosemite NP

Hey everyone,

So I am in thee beginning stages of planning an extended weekend to visit Yosemite. The main purpose is to fish but checking out the views is also a plus. I want to backpack in and set up camp then branch out from there. I have been searching the web for areas to check out in terms of fishing and the results have been limited. I found one site that gives a brief description but thats about it. Im picturing a place that has a pond or a lake to camp near by that is fishable as well a streams to fish.

So I am looking for any tips, advice, recommendations and/or past experience. I live in Northern California so I will be accessing the park from one of these trailheads: Hetchy Hetch, Tioga Road, or Yosemite Valley. I was thinking about mid to late June. I am planning it now because I know the park only gives out a certain number of passes each day.

Thanks,
Tyler

- Tyler

Old 04-14-2014, 05:03 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly fishing Yosemite NP

You may want to search the forum for info on YNP. I am planning a trip as well for mid August and have found a mass amount of information, especially within the past 2 months because of other members planning trips out there as well.
There is a recent thread with some fly shops and rivers to fish that you may want to find (I can't think of the thread name offhand though).
Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Last time in Yosemite I talked with a Ranger about fishing regs. They were mostly restrictions for certain segments (from point A to Point B) of the Merced River (main river across valley floor). Do-able though since we are used to all of them like barbless; artificial; catch-release.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

PM Sent about this...
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

The fishing prospects in YNP are a little strange lately. Many of the high country lakes that have had good fishing are currently the subjects of trout eradication efforts aimed at restoring the formerly native balance of invertebrate & amphibian life. We came through Roosevelt Lake last year just in time to find that a float tube gillnet crew had killed over 2,000 trout up to 18". Whoops!

Most of the significant streams have trout, though few are large. There are some exceptions, though. Tuolumne meadows is stuffed with *very* spooky browns, most of which are in the 8" range although I've seen them up to around 2 feet within ten minutes of the highway.

Right now, the real gems are the high country lakes that are not separated by impassable barriers (i.e. waterfalls) because those are the places where they can't eliminate the trout, or anyway not for long.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

I have fished the Yosemite area some while taking family vacations. We stay near Hetch Hetchy I see a lot of backpackers starting/finishing their trips there. Some go all the way to the valley others just take trips all over the Hetch Hetchy area. I have not hiked above the falls at Hetch Hetchy but I know the creeks run all year cause the big falls do. In this area it is lower elevation so it's warmer and a lot less crowded. I would maybe plan your trip in this area.

The Valley is very crowded but not bad once on the trails. The fishing isn't very good the Merced is slow moving thru most of the valley. The better fishing is way downstream even better the farther you go, gets faster pocket water. I would just plan on sight seeing once you get there.

Tuolumne meadows are beautiful but your trip is too early in the season for that.
I'm not sure the date of the road opening so you might wanna check on that, it's different some years.

The fish get smaller the higher you go in elevation but get more colorful.
I just use a 4 weight with basic dry flys and if it gets tough I use midge patterns.
I might have a few books on fishing the area I'll dig around for them. Also get a backpackers guide for Yosemite that will give you a better idea. I'm not much of a backpacker but my parents used to go all the time had great times.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Fishable flowing water includes the Merced, Tuolumne, the Dana Fork and Lyell Fork of the Toulumne and the South Merced. There are too many lakes to name all of them that can be fished but my favorite lake area is just outside the Eastern entrance to the park called the 20 lakes basin. There are campgrounds all along Tioga Pass Rd and even right up by Saddlebag Lake which is the gateway to the 20 lakes basin. Lots of opportunities for goldens, brookies and rainbows up there and some beautiful scenery to boot
Old 04-15-2014, 02:43 PM

barefoot t will become famous soon enoughbarefoot t will become famous soon enough

I would fish the Tuolumne from Lumsden White Water Raft in as a base camp. Less people more fish. Still, visit YNP but your best fishing will be outside the park.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone. After doing more research I am leaning toward starting out at the Hetchy Hetch trailhead and hiking into the high country. Hopefully being able to find a nice pond or small lake that has some fish in. Maybe even some small streams nearby to fish.

- Tyler

Old 04-16-2014, 02:08 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

out the back side of yosemite there is the 20 lakes basin that have quite a few fish, albeit small. A few of the lakes have golden trout, if you're interested