The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Question for those with the Patagonia sling pack

I bought one of the Patagonia atom sling packs a few months ago and yesterday was my first time using it.
Really like the pack but had a question for you all that have one
How are you attaching your net to it?
I have mine attached but it can be a pain to get to when I need it and an even bigger pain to re-attach it when I'm done with it
I use magnetic holders on the top and it's hard to get the pack hooked back up when I'm done
Thought maybe some of you might have some pictures or ideas how to attach it better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2014, 08:35 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question for those with the Patagonia sling pack

I've used my patagonia for about 6 months now, never found a way that I really liked.

Since my net is fairly small I just went back to either hanging it from the back of my belt or just tucking the handle in back there, like you see the Tenkara guys out here doing.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Yes that's what I had thought about doing also. Just didn't want to unless I had to
That really is the only flaw I can see with the pack so far

Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 AM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

I just used a locking carabiner to attach the magnet to the little D-ring at the top of the pack. My net hangs down to about my butt. I can reach back and pull the net off easily.

For reattaching I hold the net by the wide end and reach over my right shoulder with the handle facing down. This allows me to easily control the magnet receiver on the net. It takes a bit a feeling around but after a couple seconds I hear the magnet click and then just let the net fall behind me.

The main tip though is to put the magnet on the pack and the receiver part on the net. Otherwise you can start attaching to zippers, boxes, etc. rather than the mating part of the net holder.
timd likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I guess I never found it much different that clipping it to the back of a vest. And I use the heavy duty magnet so you really only need to get it close before it snaps together.

But the nice thing about the sling vs. a vest (which I've gone back to) is that you can just swing it under your arm and have the thing right in front of you to re-clip your net, then swing it back.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Hokie I'll have to try that. Mine is the other way around with the magnet on the net loop. I'll try it the other way around and see how or works

Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 PM

tanis103 is on a distinguished road

I find it is easier to use some small alum carabiners to the magnet holder than the metal key rings that come with it. The magnets will found each other better when trying hook them up. I hope that makes sense.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:32 PM

timd will become famous soon enough

What HokeHunter said.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

Has anybody tried the net holster? I forgot where I say it. Maybe bass pro. Hooks to your wading belt and the net slides in it.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

I see that patagonia came out with another sling pack

Patagonia Vest Front Sling

Looks like this has a rod holder with additional storage options on the front strap..
Does anyone have this particular sling? It looks to be more versatile then the precious sling