The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default What type of fish is this?

Caught this on my 2wt yesterday. I assume its some type of carp or koi, but I'm not sure exactly what. For a minute I thought it may be a type of goldfish, but it has the suction mouth. Anyone recognize it?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
kicker19 likes this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-14-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: copied picture for PM to Nick
Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What type of fish is this?

Only a guess but I think its a koi. That had to be a fight on a 2 wt!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

GODZILLA Goldfish !!!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Is there a nuclear power plant near by?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 PM
mridenour

That is a huge goldfish! I really don't know what it is but it sure looks like a steroid mutant version of a fish I have flushed down the toilet years ago.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

fancy long fin koi

i caught a huge goldfish once as a kid, not sure if it was really that big because it was over 20 years ago, but in my mind it was close

awesome catch
mridenour and nick k like this.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

It looks like a Koi fish to me. People will release their Koi and goldfish in local ponds when they don't want them anymore instead of flushing them down the toilet or giving them away. I have seen reports of some very large Koi in Lake Tahoe due to this.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

Koi/goldfish are related to carp. There are 2 big ones in a local pond here, I have been dying to catch them!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Can regular goldfish really get that big? I would think that smaller pet breeds have biological limitations on their max potential size.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Can regular goldfish really get that big? I would think that smaller pet breeds have biological limitations on their max potential size.
they sure can get huge, the environment is really the main thing that limits their potential