The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Major Flooding in Michigan (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/348986-major-flooding-michigan.html)

pszy22 04-14-2014 12:27 PM

Major Flooding in Michigan

This was just issued. Unfortunately this is not a joke, it is the real deal -

ALERT - ALL RESIDENCES LIVING ON THE MUSKEGON RIVER NEED TO PREPARE TO EVACUATE NOW. THE RIVER AT THE CROTON RIVER GAUGE IS at 11.39 feet (which is higher than last year) WE COULD SEE 12.4 feet or higher. PLEASE EVACUATE NOW.

Abby Watkins, PEM, MEP

Director, Newaygo County Emergency Services

306 S North St, PO Box 885, White Cloud MI 49349

mcnerney 04-14-2014 01:29 PM

Re: Major Flooding in Michigan

Thanks for sharing! I was figuring you guys might be in for some flooding especially after seeing that last storm move through.
Best of luck!

Larry

flyfishmich 04-14-2014 06:01 PM

Yeah that got hit hard. And our area was told the same. Rivers are super high right now. No end in sight either. I'm on high ground but lots of folks might be packing out for a long weekend.
Hope everybody stays safe.

pszy22 04-14-2014 07:56 PM

Muskegon River is currently at the second highest level ever recorded. The highest was back in 1986. At that time, they thought there was a 50% chance that the Hardy Dam would breach, which in turn would wipe out the Croton Dam. Had that happened, Newaygo which is seven miles downstream would have been hit with a 60' wall of water, the city of Muskegon would have gotten hit with a 20' wave. Had all this gone down, they estimated that at least a couple thousand people may have lost their lives.

Several smaller dams were washed out in 86, fortunately none of them were large enough to cause lost of life. But there was a heck of alot of property damage.

grtlksmarlin 04-14-2014 09:31 PM

Though having a bunch of snow, downstate along the Huron areas that typically flood every year are surprisingly this year doing well. Our melt off was rather rapid, and the temperature shift just as........But so far so good.

B.E.F.

weatherwar 04-14-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin (Post 658133)
Though having a bunch of snow, downstate along the Huron areas that typically flood every year are surprisingly this year doing well. Our melt off was rather rapid, and the temperature shift just as........But so far so good.

I'm surprised the Huron River Drive didn't flood like it usually does. We haven't had that much rain, and the melt didn't blow it up as much as I expected.

grtlksmarlin 04-15-2014 12:18 AM

...and of course.......tonight it snowed again.

B.E.F.

pszy22 04-15-2014 08:52 AM

THe western part of the state got 3 - 4 inches of rain. I'm sure the ground is still frozen solid, so all of it ran off directly into the drainage basin.

Last spring was as bad as it had been in a while. They actually closed the river, you were subject to arrest if you tried to access it. At first, I thought that was rather extreme, but as I thought about, why should rescuers have to risk their lives to save someone who is stupid enough to purposely place themselves in harm's way.

Current speculation is the Muskegon will crest at 13', last year it crested around 11.5'.

itchmesir 04-15-2014 10:52 AM

That's no good. Hopefully it's all settled come mid may. That's when I plan on visiting the western part of the state

pszy22 04-15-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchmesir (Post 658252)
That's no good. Hopefully it's all settled come mid may. That's when I plan on visiting the western part of the state

I hope you're right. I will say that last year, the Muskegon didn't drop back to wadable levels until June. There was a ton of water that had to be flushed from the system.