The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Opening day at the "Club"

I'm a new member of a trout club that is just 1 mile from me. It consists of 5 ponds that were once limestone quarries and are very deep (all spring fed). This was my first day fishing as a member and I got there at 6:30am. The parking lot is on an elevated wall of the quarry next to the club house. Birches, pines and maples surround it.

After gearing up and saying hi to a few other early risers I started to walk down to the pond. The sun was rising and there was a red glow on the horizon. Suddenly, overhead, a large bird flew over me and then the pond and splashed , talons first, onto a 12" trout that was near the surface. It regained flight and proceeded to fly back towards and over me. It was a beautiful Osprey and I'm sure he wanted me to know that he enjoyed fishing there too.

I had 6 hook-ups and 2 to net in 2 1/2 hrs. (First time barbless)

Had to get back to work but I'll return tonight after supper.

It's a day of fishing I won't forget.

Just thought I'd share.

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Opening day at the "Club"

Awesome! What's the name of the club?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:41 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Yes, what's the name of the club? Thanks for sharing your day on the water.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

It's the Limestone Trout Club. It was formed in 1957.

Limestone Trout Club

I got skunked tonight..... and my ears are ringing from all the peepers.

But it was all good!

Tight lines,

Joe
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

Wow. That's a impressive fishing club. If you don't mind me asking how much is a membership there ?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very nice Joe,

What a beautiful place to have near to home for you.

Ard
mridenour likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2014, 11:59 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Wow ! the osprey experience sounds like a great welcome. The club must be awesome... how about a picture or two ?
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Nice looking club Oldnewguy!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Thanks.....it is an impressive place. A real "gentleman's" fly fishing club (of course I have no idea how they let me in )

There is a full time property manager who lives in a six room cape on club property...he's a former guide. The clubhouse has two floors. Upstairs is a very comfortable room with a gas fireplace. Attached is a full kitchen. Downstairs is a fish cleaning room with all the tools, cutting boards, fridge etc. Also a full bathroom. Next to it is the "alibi" room....just another meeting room overlooking another pond. There are picnic areas on each pond....some have gas grills. Very family friendly.

The cottage which sleeps 6 has all the bells and whistles, is rented to members and last year it was rented out about 90 times at $90 a night. (it pays for itself). The "boys" will rent it for a weekend of fishing with their friends or just to spend a quiet weekend with a spouse.

I'm sure I could write more but that's a pretty complete sketch.

Cost? Dues are about the price of a large pizza with "the works" a week.

There is a "big" bump though. The membership owns the club and property and each has an equal share and vote. After a trial year, you are required to purchase 6 shares. When you leave the club (either above or below the ground ) you are refunded 5 shares. These shares can be purchased over a period of 5 years. There is a limit of 125 members.....right now there are about 110. Contact our membership chair for all the tiny details.

Membership is open to men and women. Most members live within100 miles (50 being about average) and some live very far away. We have members in WY, TX, FL, DC, MD etc. (they "summer" here.)

Pictures? It's gonna be hard to put my rod down and pic up my camera but as soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll get a few up.

Hope this didn't sound like a sales pitch but when someone asks "how much", part of the answer should include "what do you get".

Whew!

Tight lines,

Joe
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joe: Thanks, that sounds like a really nice place!

As far as posting photos, the first thing you have to realize is that the forum doesn't allow directly uploading photos from a personal computer to a post on the forum. Some members are uploading photos directly from their phone using an app called Tapatalk, they say this is extremely easy, but I haven't tried it. I use PhotoBucket, but any third party photo hosting site should work just fine. After uploading a photo to PhotoBucket, view the library to see your photos, then put your cursor on a photo and a small cog looking icon will appear, then put your cursor on the icon and a drop down menu appears, click on "Get Links", the click on the last one in the list, I think it is titled "IMG Codes", by clicking on this it will copy the info to your clipboard. Now go over to a post on the forum, click on the spot you want the photo to appear, then do a paste (CNTL-V). Then drop down and press the Preview Post button to make sure the photo appears correctly, if so then hit the Submit button.

Larry
mridenour likes this.