The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 AM

dunlapm77 is on a distinguished road
Default ZG Helios 5 weight

I have a ZG Helios 5 weight 9' Mid Flex. I tried the Orvis Hydros WF5F line, and it did not seem to be heavy enough for the rod. I now have a Scientific Anglers Mastery Series WF6F line on it, and really it does not seem like much of a difference. Has anyone else had this problem and found a line that feels good on the rod? Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: ZG Helios 5 weight

I can't help with your question but....

Welcome to the forum! Be patient and I'm sure someone in the know will be able to give you the info.

Tight lines.

Joe
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I have never cast that rod so I can't help, but like Joe said, Welcome to the Forum! Hopefully, someone here can help.

Larry

Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold

Have never owned a ZG Helios, but I do own Orvis rods, and have tried Orvis lines. Unfortunately, your description leaves lttle to go on.

What I can tell you is this....Orvis has made a couple bad rods that no matter what you put on them cannot cast anything (My 8wt. HLS Silver Label 908 "Power House Special" a good example of that), yet those rods are few and far between so I'd not suspect that unless you have found such reviews elsewhere (and my search for it yielded nothing but positive reviews).

Secondly, I have always found Orvis lines to "feel light" as you say. What I assume you mean by that is that you don't feel the rod load, and on my HLS BigHorn Special 5wt. which I dearly love, I get the same feeling when using Orvis line....BUT....that doesn't mean it casts badly with it. Just simply that it is a disturbing enough difference that it can be very disconcerting.

So, my advice would be to "go cheap".....Get yourself a Cortland 333 WF5 line and give that a try. If it fixes the problem then know this. It is you not the rod. IOW, "to me" the cheap cortland line has a "heavy feel" to it one that cues you into what is happening through feel.....Just like me and my Orvis line however, what that really translates to is "I'm" not sensing the line enough.

I think I understand what you're saying about "feels too light". Whether it is the poorer performance, sloppier loops or whatever that the Cortland 333 makes, it does translate into feeling heavier, yet that usually just means we need to train ourselves better. My casting with a 333 means lots of double hauls (which I actually like doing) so it is my style that is lacking that makes the 333 feel better......That said with my HLS BHS 5wt. I'll routinely cast a Cortland 333 WF7 15' sinking tip with it and boom the line out there with ease proving that point even further.....I just need to teach myself how to feel the lighter "feeling" lines and start casting the rod like it is meant to be.

B.E.F.
mcnerney likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM
mridenour

Why do you think the line is not heavy enough? Does it not cast well? What rod were you casting before? Is it possible that you are using a very different action rod and your casting stroke needs to be adjusted? Or maybe you just aren't getting enough feedback from the rod and you think the line needs to be heavier?
sweetandsalt and GrtLksMarlin like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:08 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have the exact rod you are talking about, and I love it. I highly recommend the SA GPX taper line in a "textured mastery" series. I also use the "trout taper" but if you prefer a 1/2 line heavy, the GPX is hard to beat.

I have not found a line that this rod hates, and everything I have tried in the past 3 years works fine for me. However, in tight spots, where back-cast room is not huge, the GPX taper loads quickly. The trout taper roll casts very well for me. Good luck!
mridenour and GrtLksMarlin like this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I too am suspecting you are missing the "feel" of the rod load rather than it not casting satisfactorily. This is the new name of the casting game with modern, low mass, light weight rods. I do not own that rod but have fished its tip flex sibling with a straight #5...these rods can be over lined but it does their tip response no good. I suggest you call Orvis cust. serv., explain your experience and ask their opinion...then get back to us please. Also practice cast with it some more and see if you can adjust to it.
mridenour and GrtLksMarlin like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

The Helios "mid flex" is the ultimate rod ever built! Lightest, and best casting rod in the world.

Try some SA Air Cel WF6F (order online from WalMart for $17) or pickup in your local WalMart.

This will load your rod perfectly. I think it's better than the regular $90 fly lines.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 PM

Tell Sackett is on a distinguished road

I doubt you will ever learn to cast that rod. You might as well just sell it to me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I have the exact rod you are talking about, and I love it. I highly recommend the SA GPX taper line in a "textured mastery" series. I also use the "trout taper" but if you prefer a 1/2 line heavy, the GPX is hard to beat.

I have not found a line that this rod hates, and everything I have tried in the past 3 years works fine for me. However, in tight spots, where back-cast room is not huge, the GPX taper loads quickly. The trout taper roll casts very well for me. Good luck!
What he said^^^^. I have an H2, with the same GPX line on it.