The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Year long trip????!!!!!!

As you head up to new England, be sure to check out the Housatonic and the Farmington.
Aside from the fishing, it is a very historic area dating back to pre revolutionary times. The iron that was produced here supplied George Washington with many of his cannon.....the area was called the "Arsenal of the Revolution". The region is a major center for the arts throughout the summer as well. Search "The Berkshires" and "The Litchfield Hills".

I'd keep a scrapbook of all the licenses you purchase.

Enjoy and tight lines!

Joe
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsond View Post
You will have a blast! There are FAR to many options to list, but if it were me I would do internet searches and try identify hot bites to get in on. Places I would not want to miss would include Lake of the Woods in Mn for pike/muskies/smallies, Lake Michigan smallies/trout and carp, Arkansas White/Norfork rivers for trout and the lakes for strippers... I could go on and on.

This could be epic!
If you are looking for strippers, I recommend East St. Louis if you are brave enough to go there.
mcnerney and Rip Tide like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
If you are looking for strippers, I recommend East St. Louis if you are brave enough to go there.
And don't forget to try one of those "pole dancer" flies
mcnerney and ted4887 like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewguy View Post
As you head up to new England, be sure to check out the Housatonic and the Farmington.
Aside from the fishing, it is a very historic area dating back to pre revolutionary times. The iron that was produced here supplied George Washington with many of his cannon.....the area was called the "Arsenal of the Revolution". The region is a major center for the arts throughout the summer as well. Search "The Berkshires" and "The Litchfield Hills".

I'd keep a scrapbook of all the licenses you purchase.

Enjoy and tight lines!

Joe
I will check this out. I do want to see this type of historical stuff on my way.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

What an opportunity. What I wouldn't give to be able to put everything on the backburner for a year, and just go where I pleased.

Please, please, please document this trip for us to read about. Doing a trip like this will create enough stories to last a lifetime.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post

I had a experience in east St Louis a couple years ago getting gas! Lol
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtstickbow78 View Post
I had a experience in east St Louis a couple years ago getting gas! Lol
Yeah, you are lucky to get gas over there and keep yourself unleaded!
ted4887 likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
What an opportunity. What I wouldn't give to be able to put everything on the backburner for a year, and just go where I pleased.

Please, please, please document this trip for us to read about. Doing a trip like this will create enough stories to last a lifetime.
This I will do. I am just fortunate enough to be able to do this at this time of my life. I have not had a vacation in years. And even though I am going to have to budget wisely and I am probably going to be broke by the end it is something me and my mom will never forget.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like oldnewguy, I also live in CT.
All respect to him but there's many places of historical value to visit in the northeast more interesting than the CT hills.
And while the Farmington River might be a blue ribbon tailwater, there's some excellent fishing in more scenic areas that might be better worth your time.

Cape Cod comes to mind as does the West Branch of Penobscot River in Maine in the Baxter State Park region.
You asked about smallmouth ? Try the lakes of "downeast" Maine (Washington county)
While in Maine you can't miss visiting the coast and if you have time, the coastal scenery is as good or better in Nova Scotia. There's Atlantic salmon fishing there too. (and you can see whales from shore)
There's 3 fly fishing museums in towns that were at the birth of American fly fishing in Roscoe NY in the Catskills, Rangeley ME, and especially the American Museum of Fly Fishing in Manchester VT. The home of the Orvis flagship store.
All worth visiting.
mcnerney, mridenour and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Like oldnewguy, I also live in CT.
All respect to him but there's many places of historical value to visit in the northeast more interesting than the CT hills.
And while the Farmington River might be a blue ribbon tailwater, there's some excellent fishing in more scenic areas that might be better worth your time.

Cape Cod comes to mind as does the West Branch of Penobscot River in Maine in the Baxter State Park region.
You asked about smallmouth ? Try the lakes of "downeast" Maine (Washington county)
While in Maine you can't miss visiting the coast and if you have time, the coastal scenery is as good or better in Nova Scotia. There's Atlantic salmon fishing there too.
There's 3 fly fishing museums in towns that were at the birth of American fly fishing in Roscoe NY in the Catskills, Rangeley ME, and especially the American Museum of Fly Fishing in Manchester VT. The home of the Orvis flagship store.
All worth visiting.
Main is one of the state's me and my mom both wanted to go see and eat a lobster! I would interested in seeing the museum also and would love to see the orvis shop! Thanks for the input. ...
mcnerney likes this.