The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 01:59 PM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road
Default Year long trip????!!!!!!

In about a month I will be packing up the camp trailer and heading out. I will be leaving Montana and heading to Indiana first. I want to camp, fish and see as much as I can. I have no real time requirements. The only dates that I have set in stone is be in Indiana the first week of june, bow hunting in Wisconsin the first 2 weeks of November and getting on a fairy in Bellingham Washington June of 2015 to go to Alaska. I would like to hear from you on any suggestions on where and what time to be in different places. I know I want to fish the white river for browns. I would like to fish Oregon. I want to fish for small mouth, northerns, ect.... I have never been back east. I grew up in Montana fishing and hunting I want to see what else is out there and try a lot of different things.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Year long trip????!!!!!!

Sounds like a really exciting trip, best of luck and keep us posted as you go!

Larry

Old 04-15-2014, 02:19 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

lucky man. I am jealous!!!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:35 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

That's just ridiculous! Why can't I do something like that? Oh well, retirement may come someday. I look a lot closer to retirement than I actually am.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:43 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

should be an exciting trip !! i wish i could tell you about some spots to check out but my list is limited to the southest, doesn't sound like you may venture off this far. best of luck to you.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Enjoy that trip! Regarding the White River, you would want to be down there in October generally. If you need a guide, I would (and do use) Jeremy Hunt with Flys and Guides.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

After my father retired, my parents spent a year on the road in their motorhome
They started in the fall and headed east to west across the south in the winter then up through the southwest and left coast and then across northern USA and Canada in the warmer months
Can't tell you exactly where they went as I threw away most of their sightseeing photos and their itinerary after they passed away.
They did visit all the big national parks.
mcnerney and busbus like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
That's just ridiculous! Why can't I do something like that? Oh well, retirement may come someday. I look a lot closer to retirement than I actually am.
I am just going to do it. My mom is getting up there in age and wants to travel while she still can. Asked me to tag along and follow them. Said she would feel more comfortable. I just sold my partnership in my business so I figured what the heck.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutn View Post
Enjoy that trip! Regarding the White River, you would want to be down there in October generally. If you need a guide, I would (and do use) Jeremy Hunt with Flys and Guides.
thanks for the info!!!! This is what I am looking for.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
After my father retired, my parents spent a year on the road in their motorhome
They started in the fall and headed east to west across the south in the winter then up through the southwest and left coast and then across northern USA and Canada in the warmer months
Can't tell you exactly where they went as I threw away most of their sightseeing photos and their itinerary after they passed away.
They did visit all the big national parks.
this is what my mom is wanting to do. She wants me to follow behind them though. Lol I will be able to break off here and there to do my thing while they do there's. We will stay in the northern states in the summer then head to the South west for the winter next spring up to the north west then on to Alaska. My mom really wants to go watch the whales. I have been there a couple times and really want to fly fish there.
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road

You will have a blast! There are FAR to many options to list, but if it were me I would do internet searches and try identify hot bites to get in on. Places I would not want to miss would include Lake of the Woods in Mn for pike/muskies/smallies, Lake Michigan smallies/trout and carp, Arkansas White/Norfork rivers for trout and the lakes for strippers... I could go on and on.

This could be epic!

-Paul Schullery
Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 AM

barefoot t will become famous soon enoughbarefoot t will become famous soon enough

What a great opportunity!! If you are near Northern California, hit the Smith River, they have both Salmon and Steelhead runs on the last undammed river in the state. I would also hit the northern Sacramento for trout as well. Have a great time where ever you go!! Tight Lines!!