The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By rangerrich99
  • 2 Post By grtlksmarlin
  • 1 Post By fly_guy12955
  • 3 Post By rangerrich99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default My review of [GASP] an indicator

Okay, so a few weeks ago I heard about these indicators from a thread about, well, indicator fishing, and the idea intrigued me, so I went ahead and picked up a pack.

http://www.idahofly.com/sites/defaul...TORS-600_0.jpg

The ones I bought are the medium size egg-shaped bobbers (they only have med. and large) and they come in a ten pack of assorted fluorescent colors. These are slip indicators, meaning that shortly after the hook set, the indicator slides freely up and down the leader as you play the fish. This is a great feature when you're fishing bobber rigs significantly longer than your rod/arm length when you get to the point where you'd like to land your fish. No more hand-lining the fish the last few feet or trying to perfect the 'fish ski' technique if you're fishing this indicator. I liked fishing this rig so much I'm actually planning an extra trip to Lee's Ferry later this year.

The short version of this review is that they work great, and I doubt I'll ever fish a Thingamabobber again.

I've gone out twice with these things, about three an a half days worth of fishing, once on a lake and once on a stream. Due to the way you set these, you can put them anywhere along your leader and they don't slide until a fish hits it, or you snag it. They're more castable than Thingamabobbers, and they don't kink the line nearly as much. It also makes retrieving a snagged rig much easier.

They float very well (at one point I had 7.5 ft. of 3x, a #10 bird's nest depth charge, 2 ft. of 4X, and a #14 guide's choice tung bead hare's ear, plus a BB shot, and I'm sure I could've added two more BBs on there before it achieved neutral buoyancy).

Four things to consider: One, they don't come any smaller (would be nice if they had a 3/8 inch, or 7/16s or maybe even smaller). Two, they don't come in either black or white (they do come in glow-in-the-dark however). Three, when fishing a stream, it's wise to tie a small swivel to your leader then your tippet, just in case you break off. That way you have some insurance on getting your bobber back. And four, these are made from a hard foam, so if you bang it into rocks or whatever while casting, you'll probably crack the things. So ultimately they probably aren't as durable as Thingamabobbers.

Anyway, there's my relatively short review of this product.

Peace.

Here's the link to the site, in case you're interested.

http://www.idahofly.com/

I stand corrected, they appear to have 3/8 inch eggs.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 04-16-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My review of [GASP] an indicator

Great report!

That said, I just cannot wrap my head around using such "bobber" looking things and when you say "use a swivel" in combination with (disregarding offshore fishing) it makes me instantly wonder whether I should use redworms, wax worms or nightcrawlers.

It's a great report, and I'm sure they work great.....It's just my issue I need to deal with.

B.E.F.
fly_guy12955 and mridenour like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I sure like the looks of those better than Thingamawindresistors. I use the little Palsa indicators if I am fishing something tiny like a scud. Usually I try to not use one at all but I may give these a shot.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I just use them little sticky fold over thingys,,,more oft a furled with a second of indicator Joni weaves in it for me...and lately,,nothing at all. If I have a big red plastic thingy on my line,,,I'm about like the other guy,,,,dig me some red wigglers (hog pen worms), give me a Zebco reel and a 5 ft rod and keep my shoes, wrap a bandanna round my head and stand back,,,,,,I'm going HUCK FINN ON YA !!!

Groannnnn,,,,,,,,,,,,,now I wanna go Huck Finn fishin'...................

Lately,,,,it's less about the trout than studying my leader and 'shuu ..opps,,that wasn't right,,STRIP SET !,,,repeat,,repeat,,,etc That's about half the fun for me,,,studying my drift.
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Hey, I'm with you guys usually. I'm a terrestrial/dry fly guy 90% of the time.

But at the walk-in at the Ferry, most of the time it's the rig or nothing. And I like fishing the Ferry. It's the most beautiful place I've ever fished. But I hate the rig with a Thingamabobber, enough so that I've declined trips up there. But with this bobber, I can see adding a trip or two this year.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark