The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough
Default put-take fisheries

had a fantastic weekend! did a 15-mile two day float trip down the Toccoa river in north ga. Weather was warm, sunny, and water levels were excellent.

Click the image to open in full size.

unfortunetly i was not able to fish during the trip, firstly, its very hard to paddle through rapids and cast at the same time, and secondly, i ended up losing my rod in a tricky rapid. paddled back to look for it but no luck (just means i get to buy a new set up, )

i noticed through the trip that people out fishing were catching fish, mostly rainbows, and that ALL of them kept the fish they caught. it did not matter the size of the fish, once landed it went either straight in a cooler or to a stringer. while floating past a group i asked how they were doing and they responded "only one so far, just big enough to make a sandwhich". I had the opportunity to talk with a few locals and they confirmed that majority of people in that area keep everything they catch. i am not against keeping fish, but taking everything you catch out of the river just makes me mad, even if it is a stocked river. i am curious if any one you have this same type of behavior in your areas.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:13 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: put-take fisheries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker19 View Post
i am curious if any one you have this same type of behavior in your areas.
Yep. As fast as they can reel them in.
In some local streams the pickings are pretty slim about two weeks after stocking.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:13 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Sure we do! I'm glad because it helps keep the bulk of the fishermen out of the really good areas. People here in Missouri pay the taxes that fund the hatcheries. There are plenty of fish. Let 'em eat.

Most all of our put-take streams are stocked daily so as long as they sell daily tags, there are new fish put in.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:16 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

you should see the animals come out when the salmon start running up the rivers in southern wisconsin

its really a dam shame, people are people

some fish for peace and relaxation and some to feed their kids

cant fault em for hungry children

i fly fished right under blue ridge and found the fly anglers in that stretch to be pros
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Yup, pretty standard on the stocked stretches. What's nice here is that there are lots of streams that aren't stocked & that folks with that mentality don't trouble with. Something for everyone, I guess.

Growing up, I lost track of the number of times I'd fish past somebody's yard on some little brook and get told I was wasting my time, there were no fish there ... I could have told them different, but why spoil a good thing?
mcnerney and Bigfly like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

No problem with keeping fish, I pay near 40$ to fish every year, so when they put stockies in if I want a few meals there's no problem with it. Would I take a wild trout to eat? Probably not, but the chances that the stockies they put in end up on the shore dead is pretty good. Might as well feed someone other than the 'gulls.

Ryan
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM

I guess I had never noticed the full extent of folks taking from the system due to me intentionally finding places to fish that require effort to get there, like hiking a mile or two through woods or paddling to the other side of a lake. My conservation outlook is obviously different also. It makes sense why I get odd looks when they see me throw back a fish.
mcnerney and siege like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Stocked fish are eternal. Eat what you want,,,but,,turn a wild one lose.
mcnerney, mikel, stenacron and 2 others like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Stocked fish are eternal. Eat what you want,,,but,,turn a wild one lose.
Agreed. That brings up the never ending debate over wild vs stocked fisheries. It seems that if a system relies on hatcheries to supply fish, added with the take whatever you want mantality, at some point there will be no such thing as a wild fish. I can honestly say that in all my years of fishing I have only caught one wild trout. This goes along side the debate over wild steelhead. They have started mating wild with hatchery to get number up. So in that case will the offspring really be wild ? It's almost like KFC, for example, they advertise it to be chicken but with all the hormones and additives it pretty much isn't chicken.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:45 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I'm like many others who are not in favour of Put & Take Fisheries why not return Fish so they can be caught again?
To me taking an odd Fish to eat is OK however I'm can't see the sense in either Killing every Fish you Catch or taking The Bag Limit every time you go Fishing.
Another thing I'm against I know some don't agree however that's fine is people either Filling Their Freezers &/or giving away most/all of their catch because all they are virtually doing is Fishing their Sport Away.
I've seen it too often where people have Filled their Freezers not used all the Fish,then cleaned The Freezer out & have Thrown The Fish out what a waste???
Brian.