The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By mtstickbow78
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grayling news.

Thought this was interesting news.
State approves reintroduction of rare fish to Madison drainage - West Yellowstone News Online: News
mcnerney, jpbfly, alexs and 1 others like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-15-2014, 11:51 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Grayling news.

Don't know enough about the project to comment.....

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 AM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road

I hope it works. I have only caught one grayling in my life don't remember the year but it was the 80's and on the west fork of the Madison. I was still a kid. I will never forget that that fish! I had never seen one and will never forget that one!!
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting project, I hope it works there aren't that many places in the lower 48 to catch Arctic Grayling. We have a lake over here in Wyoming that has Grayling and Wyoming Game and Fish uses it to harvest eggs and plant Grayling in other locations in the state.

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 AM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

I've caught a couple of grayling out of the Madison in the past.

I caught a few out of the Gallatin back when they tried to reintroduce them.
I hope it works but it seems doubtful.

The Gallatin project certainly didn't work.
I'm not sure why but I think historically they just haven't been able to compete with those invasive species, you know, the rainbows and the browns.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

The remote hatching of "eyed" eggs almost sounds like they may be experimenting with Vibert boxes (or modified Vibert boxes)... pretty inexpensive technique and I'm surprised that they are not used more often to supplement natural reproduction, or reintroduce species.

One of my "Old Guard" Pocono friend's back in PA used these successfully on the Bushkill Creek in the Lehigh Valley back in the early 70's. The Bushkill at that time had quality water able to sustain wild fish, but lacked suitable spawning habitat required to self-sustain. The experiment lead to boosting public awareness for cleaning up the watershed and today boasts a wonderful, self-sustaining population of wild browns.
mridenour likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a good idea...graylings are very exciting to fish
Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Interesting, no doubt.

The first grayling I caught was on the Madison at the confluence in the park quite a few years ago. I was really surprised, I had no idea there were grayling there. I think it would be great if it worked, I wouldn't worry about grayling displacing brown trout. They will most likely just become prey.

And we all know that what the Madison needs is something more of draw to bring anglers there!