The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shoulder issues!

Same here I have major nerve damage in my left and damage in my right as well. Casting wasn't enjoyable and made my issues worse. I've been selling off 99% of my Western gear and sticking with my Tenkara rod as it seems to have the least impact on my shoulder as it is super light and no line to strip or extra weight from a reel. Might be something for you to consider.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Perhaps I'm speaking out of ignorance here, yet I've had a number of shoulder injuries so it makes me wonder, "what if you didn't involve your shoulder so much"?

What i mean by that is, typically I tend to get out there and my arms flail around like I'm trying to take flight......That said, when I try and teach those just starting out how to cast and most of all feel the rod load, I'll even go so far as to bind their upper arm to their torso and wrist to the rod but....The point being to show them that by simply bending the elbow you can get a cast out there and still feel the execution of it.

I know you have all seen what I'm talking about.....Some thousand year old man standing ankle deep in water, his forearm inline with the rod and the only thing he moves is his forearm pivoting at the elbow. Sure, smaller streams, not so much distance and so on, yet if you think about it does all the wild gyrations with your casting arm really add all that much?

Something to consider....

B.E.F.
nc_cooter likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the responses, tried alot of what was suggested. Most of what i have been cosidering is just going back to the fishing i did as a kid. Doing some crappie and catfishing. Put on some bait and sit back. I guess whats killing me along with the limitations of casting is the 3+ hour drive to trout fish. Just makes it all not as fun as what it used to be. Not going to quit fishing though. Quit hunting years back because of the lack of places to hunt and hunting clubs leasing all the land.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
Put on some bait and sit back.
Cool or kewl as they say...

carry on.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM

irons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Same here I have major nerve damage in my left and damage in my right as well. Casting wasn't enjoyable and made my issues worse. I've been selling off 99% of my Western gear and sticking with my Tenkara rod as it seems to have the least impact on my shoulder as it is super light and no line to strip or extra weight from a reel. Might be something for you to consider.
Never really thought about the tenkara rods, i tried the two handed cast but on small streams which is what is mostly around me it just didnt work out. May give tenkara a try especially for brook trout.
siege likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 PM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough

I also have some major shoulder problems. Torn rotator cuff and a clavicle that looks like a Z as a result of a fall years ago. You can do a lot by just using the fore arm. I am a blacksmith and can still hammer with almost no shoulder movement. Same with a fly rod. It may not look pretty, but it gets the job done. In both cases, I put a playing card in my arm pit to help keep the shoulder movement to a minimum. It takes a lot of practice, but it can be done.
Mike
Old 04-18-2014, 08:40 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Dislocated my shoulder pitching for an Independent...I think it was 91.

Problem was and is, the darn thing re-dislocates......sometimes often. SERIOUS pain.

Surprisingly, Its never happens on the stream or the flats.

This is nothing more than an opportunity to buy a new light 0wt and see if that helps.......
craigthor likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
many shoulder pain sufferers have migrated to two handed rods. it takes SO much pressure off your shoulder. It can open a whole new door to fly fishing enjoyment. They make all kinds of spey and switch rods all the way down to small trout size. Think about it
Hey Irons,
While I can't recommend any way to shorten the road trip, you might want to try a light weight (short) switch rod and learn to spey cast, even for some crappie & bass fishing. Two handed casting takes most of the work off your shoulder, gives you plenty of casting distance, and does not require lots of casting space behind you. This would allow you to manage the local small streams. Finally, while it is not as efficient as an actual Tenkara rod, you could even use the switch rod for Tenkara-style fishing. Good luck!