The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM

irons is on a distinguished road
Default Shoulder issues!

Already sold all my large weight fly fishing gear due to pain in my shoulder, and havent been fly fishing in the years alot due to the soreness that comes along with casting for hours, and the fact that i have one stream near me and its about 3 hours drive to the next trout stream. Hate to give up the sport but really considering giving it up. Just not as fun as it used to be, and since every time i go i am taking ibuprofen after. Anyone ever deal with these things?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
mridenour

Default Re: Shoulder issues!

I had rotator cuff surgery about 18 months ago. Wasn't allowed to use my arm outside of the sling for 3 months. It takes a LOOOOONG time to recover from that. I learned to cast with my left hand. Actually my casts look a little better left-handed. I am slower and my timing is better.

Now that my right shoulder is healed up, it is nice to switch to my left hand when I get a little tired or the wind is blowing from the wrong direction.

You can make it work as long as you have another arm.
jimp and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

Have looked into rotator cuff surgery but only have real problems when i do something repetitive, thats why i quit softball many years ago. My doctor dosent think the surgery is warranted right now.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 PM
mridenour

I fought off surgery until it got to the point I couldn't sleep anymore. That did it for me. Make sure you use a really good doctor if surgery comes around. My doc had just finished working on T. J. Oshie when he did my shoulder. He's pretty good.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear it Irons! I deal with pain all the time. I was in a truck accident years ago & left with some nerve damage issues in the back of my left shoulder. Plus, as I've gotten older, arthritis in my joints has become an issue. The job I do is physical & I do a lot of lifting. I unload on average 40,000 to 50,000 lbs of freight from a tractor trailer per week with hand carts. It's taking it's toll on me, but at the same time is probably keeping me moving. I also take the Ibuprofen & other meds for my issues, but as far as giving up fishing, not a chance. I tend to relax & forget about the pain, even when tossing my 10 wt, or some of my other heavier conventional tackle. Fortunately I cast right handed.

If I'm uncomfortable with fly casting, I'll try something else, and even other tackle (baitcasting, spinning, surf spinning, trolling) I love fly fishing, but also love fishing. So far it's all been enjoyable. Fishing is my outlet to forget the pain & other worldly issues.

For me, part of the pain problem is mental & part physical. I'm ready to retire in my mind, but not ready otherwise. I have to keep going a few more years & it's sometimes hard to bear the pain & focus on working. However, when it's time to quit fishing it's time to put me in a box & bury me 6 ft under.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Along with learning to cast with the other arm, you might also consider alternating styles, so it's not as repetitive. Try roll casts, sling shot, bow and arrow, etc. Spice up your life with a new ultra light outfit, or a short, fast rod. Hang in there ! Where there's a will, there's a way
fredaevans, busbus and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:57 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

many shoulder pain sufferers have migrated to two handed rods. it takes SO much pressure off your shoulder. It can open a whole new door to fly fishing enjoyment. They make all kinds of spey and switch rods all the way down to small trout size. Think about it
jaybo41, ted4887, siege and 3 others like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

jbird beat me with a response and I can't agree with him more. I'll post what I had typed up ......

Learn to cast with two hands on the fly rod handle. I'm not suggesting you get a two handed spey rod...I'm talking about casting with any Trout rod in the 6-9 foot range. Having both hands on the rod will help in a few ways. You will see that the elbow will move in a horizontal direction without the lifting elbow for the normal overhead cast which brings the shoulder joint in play. You will find that switching hands on the handle makes it easy to cast left handed without the uncomfortable feeling you get when going with the opposite hand only. Two hands takes less effort and strength to get the the same results as with the conventional style; it should be noted that Joan Wulff recommends two hands on the rod to teach women and children who have less upper-body strength the technique. Two hands on the handle will also iron out any casting problems you have developed, i.e. the tailing loop and the swinging loops associated with twisting forearms and wrists. I often go two hands on the rod when my casting needs a refresher course and I need to straighten things out.

A disadvantage is that you will have to give up that double haul. C'est la vie....you won't miss the DH and you will see that you can rocket the cast out there as far as you need.

If you want to get serious about using this technique after trying it and find some benefit, you can modify your rods with an extension to the butt. Removable is an option and you could make it yourself or talk it over with a rod builder. All you need is something to grab onto. A 6" extension with a short hand hold would work well and if you need to pull it out of the way and stick it quickly in your pocket it'd be out of the way.
jbird likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:40 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Maybe look into 2 handed rods to take some work off the shoulder. Also I've read that some folks have changed to slower rods. Especially glass. Though the rods may be heavier. with proper balance the lack of work needed to cast a good glass rod makes the extra weight seem like a non issue.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

The big needle in the shoulder. I had it about 15 years ago, it's been like new since then. Your mileage may vary...
waterfordcreek likes this.