The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough
Default Airflo Polyleaders

So I'm looking to adapt my current freshwater 8-wt setup to a saltwater setup. Essentially I want to make my 8wt floating line bass rod have a sink tip line without buying another reel spool or new spool of line.

I saw the airflo polyleaders and was just wondering what everyone's experience with them are so far. What size is appropriate for an 8wt?

I'll mainly be fishing backwater estuaries and maybe a bit of surf.

Thanks,
Hokie
Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Airflo Polyleaders

The question is not so much what's right for an 8 weight as what's right for the kind of fishing you want to do. Airflo makes leaders with different sink rates, but none of them will sink as fast as a fast-sinking sink tip line or looped length of leadcore.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
The question is not so much what's right for an 8 weight as what's right for the kind of fishing you want to do. Airflo makes leaders with different sink rates, but none of them will sink as fast as a fast-sinking sink tip line or looped length of leadcore.
I'm wanting to fish backwaters and maybe a little surf for redfish and flounder. If something else is around, great. I'll be fishing the Intercoastal Waterway behind Ocean Isle Beach, NC and all the creeks and inlets in that area. I might try out some early morning surf fishing as well. I'm just looking for something to help get my flies down. I plan on using some pretty good sized clousers so that will help...

What I really want to do is get a spare reel spooled with some sink tip, but I have a little one coming in a couple months and my wife does not get paid maternity leave. We'll be operating on a single salary for a while so my fun budget is becoming a diaper budget.... I'm looking for a cheap alternative to an $80 spool of $70 line...
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I think something like the Cortland mini-sink-tip kit may do the job better. You really want a weighted length of fly line, not just a weighted leader, heavy enough to pull the floating tip down into the water column. Orvis used to sell pre-made mini lead heads with varying sink rates (which is what I use), but I don't think they carry them any more. You may be able to find something similar from other brands too.

Cortland Mini-Head Kits : FishUSA.com

http://reviews.orvis.com/7532/205Z/reviews.htm
Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I think something like the Cortland mini-sink-tip kit may do the job better. Orvis used to sell pre-made mini lead heads with varying sink rates, but I don't think they do any more.

Cortland Mini-Head Kits : FishUSA.com
I was looking at those earlier but they had mixed reviews especially for saltwater fish. The saltwater Polyleaders have some impressive sink rates.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
So I'm looking to adapt my current freshwater 8-wt setup to a saltwater setup. Essentially I want to make my 8wt floating line bass rod have a sink tip line without buying another reel spool or new spool of line.

I saw the airflo polyleaders and was just wondering what everyone's experience with them are so far. What size is appropriate for an 8wt?

I'll mainly be fishing backwater estuaries and maybe a bit of surf.

Thanks,
Hokie
I use the airflo polyleaders on several of my spey rods. The question may really be 'how deep' do you need to get. In moving water these DON'T sink all that well regardless of what it says on the package. Well if you're casting into a bath tub that may not be true.

To get 'depth,' and in moving water, you need a 'real' sink tip line (or head). The other option is using a 'poly' with a weighted fly on the business end of same. The above (Steelhead/Salmon fishing on the Rogue River) is the fall water flows further up stream you go can get pretty darned low so a heavy head doesn't come into play all that often.

Where all that comes into play is a 'floating line' is just that ... it floats! The sinking poly leader will drop below that and you get a better fly presentation (like I get that all too often ... ) Can't remember what length these things come in (and I'm not going to go dig around in the back of the Jeep) but the heaviest in 9 to 12 feet is all you really need.

See folks chucking these 15 foot sections of 'cable' and I just have to shake my head in bewilderment.

fae
Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 PM

_rj_ is on a distinguished road

My first season in the salt I used a regular WF8F line with the fastest sink 10' poly leader. I was fairly successful that year for rockfish and surf perch. Now I use Airflo forty plus cold saltwater sniper type 7 sink with a 10' T8 leader. Remember to get a stripping basket. Once I got one I can't believe I fished without one. Especially off a jetty with sharp rocks, shells, starfish...
Old 04-17-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _rj_ View Post
My first season in the salt I used a regular WF8F line with the fastest sink 10' poly leader. I was fairly successful that year for rockfish and surf perch. Now I use Airflo forty plus cold saltwater sniper type 7 sink with a 10' T8 leader. Remember to get a stripping basket. Once I got one I can't believe I fished without one. Especially off a jetty with sharp rocks, shells, starfish...
I have the William Joseph stripping basket. It's alright, but I use it more for holding fish when I'm wet wading at waist height. Haven't tried it walking around much.