The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New guy introduction/need some help!

I am kind of in the same situation on where I fish, roll casting is your friend, but I almost do a sidearm roll cast where there's low hanging branches and whatnot. There's probably better ways to cast than I do, but it gets me where I need to go.

Ryan
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
Welcome!

Streams that you can jump across, eh? Sounds like SoCal.

For that reason, I'm using an Echo Carbon 7'6" 3 weight and it is a blast. The shorter rod allows for presentations when canopy and shrubbery become a problem.

The Echo Carbon is a great rod and won't 'break the bank.'
I use a 2wt 7'3" Echo Carbon as my tiny water rod and completely agree. Fun rod for very small streams, but in fact, I sometimes use mine on larger waters too!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I'm going with RipTide's first post. You already have the rod, and frankly 12" is not going to make that big of a difference at this stage of the game. Don't get me wrong, there will be times when 6" of that get's you banging an overhanging limb or whatever, yet in the end you'll learn how to avoid that.......With a 5' Ugly Stick you'll learn nothing.

B.E.F.
mcnerney and oldnewguy like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Last summer I got serious about fly fishing and I understood how much I needed to learn and practice. I practiced in the back yard and just about every day I went to different spots on my home stream to practice different casts........and not to catch fish.....and I didn't.

However, as I got better at casting and presentation, I did catch some fine fish. Basically, as I got better, the fishing got better.

Stick with what you have and work on what you don't, that is what money can't buy.

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 AM

attackone is on a distinguished road

what part of SC Pa do you live in...i live in bedford county
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum! This reminds me of a story told by the golfer Chi Chi Rodriquez. He was a poor kid that worked as a caddy on a golf course. They would let the kids play but they could only use one club. He learned to play every type of shot with a 5 iron.

When he got to use a whole arsenal, he became a legend largely due to learning to do lots of things with that one club when he was a kid.

Learn to play with what you have and it will make you a better fisherman when you start to expand your selection of rods.
repperson29 and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum I don't have any experience with any rods smaller the a 4weight. Like said you can do plenty with a 4weight a smaller rod while fun is not necessary. Good luck
Old 04-17-2014, 05:36 PM

aspade17 will become famous soon enoughaspade17 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackone View Post
what part of SC Pa do you live in...i live in bedford county
I also live in Bedford county, Everett to be exact

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Take a look at the Wright McGill Featherlights if you want a shorty that won't break the bank. The 6'6" 3/4 or 4/5 would be cool. If your current reel doesn't work for you on it, go find an Okuma Sierra or SLV. Add a $15 line from EBay and you're in business. If you don't like it, PM me and I'll buy it from you, but you gotta pay shipping. I keep buying them and giving them to my friends.
buddhist_palm likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:56 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

I've got to go with Rip Tide on this one and throw my hat into the 4 to 5-wt. ring, as those two weight classes will handle a day astream with no problem. And, if you positively, absolutely have to have a new rod, look for one of the old Orvis Graphite or Superfine series that's been taken care of. Commonly, you can find them in 4 to 6-wt class and in lengths ranging from 7'6" to 8-foot and not have to break the bank to get one. I probably use my 7'6" 5-wt. as much as I do the 8-foot 6 wt., and while the AuSable River is easily fished over most of its length, it does have some "feeder streams" that will challenge a man's casting...

Jerry, aka hairwing530