The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 PM

aspade17 will become famous soon enoughaspade17 will become famous soon enough
Default New guy introduction/need some help!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, my name is Austin, I'm 22 and from South Central Pennsylvania.

I have fished my whole life but about a year ago was when I started to get serious about fly fishing. I enjoy the difficulty and the presentation needed to catch fish either a Fly rod.

I look forward to learning as much as possible and contributing in any way that I possibly can.

Now comes my question, I currently use an Orvis Clearwater 4wt 8'6" rod. But I mainly fish small streams right next to my house(you can jump across most), that have over hanging trees and brush. Also I fish a local river. I usually only fish for panfish and fall fish/suckers/stocked trout. Since I never catch anything of real size(over 12"). I'm looking to go with a smaller rod and real that won't break the bank,but will make it easier to work with Somewhere from 2wt and under.

I would just like some suggestions because like I said, I really don't have a ton of experience.

Thanks in advance,
Austin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
mcnerney and ejsell like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 PM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy introduction/need some help!

Welcome to the forums. I am just re getting started but have received a tonight of info since joining my self. I am sure that some will come along and give you some good advice.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum from a fellow PA boy,

I'm not qualified to help you probably, just wanted to welcome ya to the forum. I'm sure someone knowledgeable will get to ya in a minute!

Ryan
Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome
There's many who might disagree, but it's my personal opinion that unless you're fishing to highly educated trout, there's no reason to use anything lighter than a 4wt.
If I was 22 that's not something that I'd be spending my money on.
mcnerney, fredaevans, cab and 1 others like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Hi and welcome
There's many who might disagree, but it's my personal opinion that unless you're fishing to highly educated trout, there's no reason to use anything lighter than a 4wt.
If I was 22 that's not something that I'd be spending my money on.
Thanks riptide, I didn't know if a shorter rod would be more beneficial to fishing the tight streams or not. Again being a rookie, I know my casting is sub par. I am in the process of trying to save for a house, so money saved is a good thing. But hey, you can't take it with you when you go anyways!

mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Hi Austin and welcome to the forum.....I just joined as well and have gotten great advise.
Riptide pretty much said what I would have. I've been fishing an 8' 4wt in waters similar to what you have and I'm having a blast. Trick is to learn different casts for the different situations. Utube is your friend.

Tight lines,

Joe
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish a bunch of rods in the 6'6" - 7'6" range and they're all 4 and 5wts
Those "heavier" lines can turn over a leader easier with less line out of the tip-top than rods with lines in the "toy" sizes.
You might be better off with something like that for streams "that you can jump across"
Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Welcome!

Streams that you can jump across, eh? Sounds like SoCal.

For that reason, I'm using an Echo Carbon 7'6" 3 weight and it is a blast. The shorter rod allows for presentations when canopy and shrubbery become a problem.

The Echo Carbon is a great rod and won't 'break the bank.'
mcnerney and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

A 4wt would be more then fine for your situation. Save your money or take fly casting lessons.
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, based on most of the answers I'd say the 4wt will be my choice. I'll just work on my casts for the tighter areas. I shouldn't be expecting results over night

mcnerney likes this.