The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Hat in my hand asking for help

Good wading jackets are something I'm not so knowledgeable about. Been using a Coleman wind breaker for a couple years only and it's went to rags in that time. I put miles on this stuff.

OK,,,so,,,what is a good value in a wading jacket ? Not cheapest. Just best bang for the buck ?

And,,the doc found out today that my hand that was operated on is not my casting hand,,,,and said 'Go fish,,,but don't strain it. You'll know if you do then stop.'

So,,I'll ease back into fishing without missing hardly much. God is good to this ol' boy.

Mike
mridenour and craigthor like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hat in my hand asking for help

I'm a Simms guy, love their stuff. Yes the initial cost can hurt depending which route you go, but imho it's top notch stuff.
craigthor likes this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Good to have ya back on the water!
cant help on the jacket, columbia windbreaker here or fleece pullover depending on whats clean and my mental state....lol
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

What about this deal guys,,got a few bucks off,,plus 10 more on code...so,,,

Men's PacLite Stowaway Wading Jacket with Gore-Tex: Fishing | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
jaybo41 and mridenour like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I have that jacket and like it. My son's did lose a seam under the arm, but teens can be pretty rough on gear. They are 3 years old and both still look new, other than the seam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post

Men's PacLite Stowaway Wading Jacket with Gore-Tex: Fishing | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
That's my wading jacket. I like it.
andrew_rigsby likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I've had the L.L. Bean Emerger II wading jacket for, sheesh, has it really been 7 years now? It's a pretty good jacket, has most of the bells and whistles of many of the more expensive jackets, but under a bill. I did notice this year that the Velcro tabs at the cuffs are starting to peel off a bit, but as I almost never use them, I guess that's still okay.

Another nice thing about it is the lifetime warranty. I sent it back one time about 3 years ago to get the seams re-done, no charge to me.

Oh, in case you'd like to know, all the zippers, draw cords, etc. still work perfectly, and I've spent more than a few days in this jacket during a downpour and stayed perfectly dry.

One thing to be aware of with this jacket (don't know if it's true of other Bean jackets), it's cut a little small. I got the medium, and if I try to wear my heavy thermals under it, it's pretty tight. So if you're a bigger guy, or plan to wear several layers under this thing, you should consider going up a size.

Peace.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post

Nice deal, just noticed that. Might have to get me a new jacket . . .
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

I have the Simms stuff as well, but my Cabela's employee discount makes it affordable. A friend of mine was mentioning that LL Bean had an affordable jacket that checked out wit great reviews. Googling I found that they range from $100 to $400. I have a Columbia that I had bought before my Simms and it worked well. Features that my Simms is missing is a zippered slash pocket. I like the enclosed ones to keep my hand warmers hot. That doesn't happen with my Simms jacket.
Good Luck
Rick
Old 04-16-2014, 08:47 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

I got one of the goretex paclite Cabelas wading jacket... So far so good. Fits nice.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

I have a simms packable that is very light weight and only has 2 hand pockets.

I have a frogg toggs wading jacket I got at basspro for uner $100. Has a packable hoog. Large pockets for fly boxes, 2 inside pockets and 2 large hand warmers and 2 hand pockets that are zip up and seem sealed. I have been in the water when the air temp was ZERO and I was protected from the wind and cold. I like it enough to recommend it