The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By oldnewguy
  • 1 Post By mtstickbow78
  • 1 Post By oldnewguy
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long Live the King

Here is a great video produced by "Fly Out Media" that I spotted over on the Orvis Fly Fishing site. If you are interested in the Alaska King Salmon and it's decline in size and numbers in recent years or planning a fly fishing trip to Alaska for Kings, this is an awesome video, a bit long at 15 minutes but well worth the time.

Larry

Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Long Live the King

I think I'll watch this with lunch....Thanks!

Tight lines,

Joe
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 AM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road

Great video!!!! I will be back in Alaska next summer. We all need to do your part in preserving fish, wildlife and Habitat! !!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Maybe it's time to take wild salmon off my menu.

Great flic!

Tight lines,

Joe
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewguy View Post
Maybe it's time to take wild salmon off my menu.
Hi Joe,

Currently we have no shortage of sockeye salmon, rivers here still see runs in the 1 - 3.5 million fish range. It is our King Salmon which have historically never enjoyed the numbers of the other species which are in decline. I haven't killed one for three years and don't know if I ever will again.

That is not to say that we have no kings; last year I released over 20 fish unharmed and expect to catch more this season. If you would like to know more about what and how we are trying to understand the species and the challenges faced by the fish you may enjoy this short article I wrote onto my blog page. Tracking The King
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Some of that footage is simply jaw dropping!

Reminds of an old ad that I saw for an outfitter in Alaska...
"Today my client landed four, all over nine inches! Oh, did I mention that here in Alaska we measure 'em between the eyes?"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-17-2014, 02:18 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Fantastic link. Thank you.