The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 11:07 AM

zildjian is on a distinguished road
Default what are the first flies to buy?

hey guys,

I'm brand new to fly fishing and super excited to get into the sport to catch stocked and wild trout. I bought a sage 5 weight rod and reel. Also have 5 weight line with 4x tapered leader with various tippet material from 4x, 5x and 6x.

I started practicing casting out back with a trimmed piece of egg yarn material. I just started dialing in my accuracy very well now. Before I hit the water what flies do you guys recommend I start out with on the water? Dry, nymphs, streamers or midges? I understand each size of fly is paired with (x) tippet. I'm just not sure on what style of fly to start out with and then which specific fly. I fish out of Bucks and Montgomery County of Pennsylvania.

I appreciate any help,
thank you.
-nick
mcnerney, mridenour and rott21 like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:50 AM
mridenour

Default Re: what are the first flies to buy?

Nick,
This is what I would recommend. Go to this thread:
Bigger & Better... "The Fly Box 90!"

PM Jerry and tell him where you are fishing and what you will be fishing for. Tell him you need some advice. This is THE BEST way to get a huge selection of proven flies without breaking the bank. They are quality and you will be helping out in a great cause. Everybody wins.

I guarantee that if you get one of these boxes full of great flies, when you get that thing out in front of an old-timer, he will think you are a seasoned veteran of the sport. There's no way to get a better start.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:17 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum nick and welcome to a great sport.

Mike just gave you the best advice you can get........and keep practicing.

I started last year and my first trips to the stream was just about practicing my casts and presentations.......not about catching fish. After awhile I did get better at my technique and guess what? I did start to catch fish.

Don't forget to wear glasses, you don't want to loose an eye.

Oh, and do take time to just enjoy your surroundings.....it's pretty out there.

Tight lines,

Joe
mcnerney, mridenour and zildjian like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

I'd agree with mridenour.....at 50 cents a fly and in a nice box, besides top level flies you'll NEVER find a better deal that will give you an excellent start.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If there's one constant in fly fishing, it's if you have a favorite fly, you're gonna loose it.
So, always have at least 3. One to loose, one to replace it, and one to remind you to get (tie ) more

Experts' Top Ten Dry and Wet Flies | MidCurrent
Old 04-18-2014, 01:36 PM

kcheek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I guarantee that if you get one of these boxes full of great flies, when you get that thing out in front of an old-timer, he will think you are a seasoned veteran of the sport. There's no way to get a better start.
Can not agree more with mridenour. I got two boxes a few weeks ago before they became Fly Box 90s and couldn't be happier. I've been out four times since they arrived and caught fish each time out on flies from Jerry! Great call Mike!!

Just checked out the link from Rip Tide and it has some very good info too. Very interesting.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:50 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default what are the first flies to buy?

Get the fly box 90 and you won't be sorry, and make sure to post pics of your outings and catches. And Welcome to the Forum and the addiction.....ahem..... I mean ....sport.
Tight Lines!

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road

Welcome Nick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
mcnerney and zildjian like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:08 PM

zildjian is on a distinguished road

thank you so much guys! extremely happy to see all this great info and good people. I'm absolutely going to contact jerry and place an order! I will post pictures as well for everyone, thank you guys for making me feel so welcomed.

-nick
Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

I would agree with Mike regarding the fly selection. It offers a variety with value. Mike gave me one for my recent 50th b-day and what a surprise. The selection of flies and box would retail for about $150 and you get it for far less.
Welcome to the forum and good luck!