The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 07:17 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How old is your 'fishing car?'

Great thread!!

Those old Mercedes are great cars. Well sought after in great shape. Come to find out certain models are highly sought after. A good friend of makes a nice dime buying and selling them.

The best I have had is a 2000 4runner Limited.

Currently shopping. Looked at the new Ford and Chevy suv's......... REALLY????

Ford salesman- want a test drive?
Me- I can get a benz for the same price. Why should I consider the Ford?
Salesman- Ummmmm.........
Me - Never-mind.

I think Im just going to get another 4Runner.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:29 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

2011 f150 with 64k. So I might have the newest fishing car. Is like a jeep so I can squeeze into the 2 track access roads but for now I have to use parking lots.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Sort of embarrassed to admit it....14 months old 16k miles

2013 Tundra Limited (tows the trailer)

After a day of winter fishing here in Colorado, an appreciation of heated seats is formed quickly. I had never bought a loaded vehicle before. I always bought myself the mid range stuff and got the wife the loaded ones. This time she talked me in to treating myself.
waterfordcreek likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 92 jeep wrangler in the barn waiting on me to refinish, currently it is tore down to the frame. Am slowing buy pieces for it such as a hard top and matching doors, slick new bumpers with attached Hi Jack. Will not buy the new motor and transmission for a while yet but expect to have it all together by retirement (6 years).

Dave
Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I have an '03 F-150 with 148,000 miles on it. Back and forth to the Keys a few times. All over the Rockies. A ding in the drivers side door from a deer running into it. Front license plate is held in with cable ties because I clipped a deer with the front bracket at around 70,000 miles. Bed was never lined, so its all scratched up now, but covered with a topper and no rust. Pontoon boat just fits inside. A black beetle stuck to the visor, which I used to take a 24" brown from Silver Creek a few years back. And like others, the back floor/seat is covered in yellow lab hair from the two renegades. It's all still stock. Since I'm always towing something, the tranny will be first to go, but hopefully not anytime soon.
fredaevans and bocast like this.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:05 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
Currently shopping. Looked at the new Ford and Chevy suv's......... REALLY????

Ford salesman- want a test drive?
Me- I can get a benz for the same price. Why should I consider the Ford?
Salesman- Ummmmm.........
Me - Never-mind.

I think Im just going to get another 4Runner.
No kidding.....The wife just leased a 2014 Dodge 1500 crew cab Outdoorsman, Mossy Oak Camo package. I don't think there is another bell or whistle you can get on the thing, in fact she even made them install after the fact heated seats and a retractable sunroof.......and though a $48k truck, she actually got a pretty fantastic deal on it....BUT....

It also has an 8 speed trans and a....3.92 axle set!....Which means the mileage is terrible (other day we drove to the bar 5 miles away....got a whopping 4.7 mpg). SuRrrrRre, it can pull a house off its foundation, yet the only thing we tow around are our narrow backsides. Heck, to get up to 45 it shifts a gear like every 3 seconds.

Best of all, 5 days after buying it having driven it only once (Moose died the day she brought it home so it sat for a week) we go out to the truck and find that a mouse that had to come from the dealership had chewed up everything in the glovebox, and as I turn the key to drive it....Dead air. I mean nothing, no ignition turn over, no electrical inside the vehicle and the headlamps were bright.....Better still, because it has that stupid electronic shifter (a knob on the dash) you can't get it out of gear.

It took a month to get it back, all because the mouse had chewed a single tiny perhaps 22ga. wire in two....Interior and dash completely out so you know it will rattle and squeek forever....and what happens if say we drive to the middle of some wilderness area with no cell reception....A chipmunk could totally disable the vehicle meaning we get to walk 100 miles out (naturally the limited gas milage range protects us to some degree). Now that's Ram Tough

Yep, that old stinking jeep with no rocker panels left and faded paint (under the dirt) sure looked mighty good in her spot on the drive ....and for the cost of that truck we could buy a fleet of them.....A different jeep for each day of the month.

It made every second in that stink mobile worth it.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: How old is your 'fishing car?'

Went down the Mouse route once; amazing what it cost me to get that damned car fixed.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Reading that last one reminded me to say that my Silverado has heated seats and some other stuff I haven't figured out how to use even after all these years....... and at 55 mph averages 19.8 mpg. Yeah, I drive that slow. I haven't been stopped for speeding since 1987
comeonavs likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My 2005 Subaru Outback has about 117K miles and it still purrs like a kitten. The all wheel drive feature comes in handy for a lot of the dirt roads that I need to get to for my fishing destinations.

In the future, I would like to have a four wheel drive truck or a Jeep for the places my Outback can't get to.

Dennis
Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

2013 jetta

black on black with some serious tints

i got sick of my mazda protege breaking down

calling the wife stranded on the side of the road 150 miles away from home and asking her to come get me got old

i drove that thing nearly 200k

not really a fishing car per say but it carries my gear and gets me where im going