The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 PM

bambam is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How old is your 'fishing car?'

2001 GMC 1500, 189K and still running strong. I bought it new. Other than oil, tires and brakes, the only thing that I ever had to fix was the fuel tank sending unit.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:17 AM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Grandma passed a few months ago. I got her subaru. 2003 impreza 2.5ts hatch... 16,000 miles. She never drove. Fits a 9footer front to back with a couple inches to spare.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:11 AM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Had an ole '79 Datsun 510 station wagon, whose odometer was stuck at 299,999, and kept running strong for another 6 years after that. Then I got my '06 Tacoma and that has served me well.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:28 AM
mridenour

Well, since my 93 Ford Ranger with the peeling clear coat made that big loud grinding noise in the tranny and stopped moving and my daughter's old car started getting way too many miles on it (it could barely hold a 2 pc. 9' rod anyway), my wife insisted I get something newer and less junky. So I now drive a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado. I call it Big Red and it has so far been much nicer to me than the old Ranger.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

1994 Volvo 850 Station wagon. 330K+ still running. I know my gear is safe in it (nobody would care to break in) and I dont give a **** if it gets dirty......
Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have a 2013 black on black Toyota Tundra Rockwarrior with shell that is crazy comfortable and when washed can take the wife out for a nice evening. My 2001 Ford f-250 has been relegated to more domestic use, like going to the dump and hauling furniture.

Cheers,
Craig
Old 04-22-2014, 02:58 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Bought a Toyota PU new in '79 and put 275k or so on it before a daughter ended it's run up against a redwood in '05. Picked up a used '04 Tacoma and put a leer shell on it. It's at about 135k now and I'm guessing it's got another 200k in it.

I average sleeping 15-20 nights a year in the shell on short trips and en route to Mt or wherever.

Click the image to open in full size.

It makes a good emergency kitchen in the snow -)
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9 liter. I love this rig. She just passed 198,000 miles. In its day, it was decked out. Every option available. I spend more time on back country dirt roads than I do pavement, for that reason this is the ride for me. Jeeps ride great in the dirt. I NEVER have to worry about getting stuck, I have all my necessary tools in a box on the roof. I normally keep a small chainsaw, tow ropes, jumper cables and water in the roof box. I can fit my 9’-6” rods inside the jeep via some bungee cords mounted to the roof. I have owned much nicer rigs, but non better for fishing….

stlskyline, bocast and oldnewguy like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Bought a Toyota PU new in '79 and put 275k or so on it before a daughter ended it's run up against a redwood in '05. Picked up a used '04 Tacoma and put a leer shell on it. It's at about 135k now and I'm guessing it's got another 200k in it.

I average sleeping 15-20 nights a year in the shell on short trips and en route to Mt or wherever.

It makes a good emergency kitchen in the snow -)
Long time back but heading over Steven's Pass and road is blocked. Like a blizzerd going on (don't ask as to why I wanted to make that trip as I have zero idea) and Washington State Police have the thing shut down. Total 'going now where' and cars backed up for a mile.

Hungry and dropped the back of the Buick Station Wagon and pulled out the Colman camp stove to brew coffee and cook some eggs, bacon/pancakes. Amazing how many 'new friends' you can make over a few hours. Thank Goodness the food box had 'Krusties' pancake mix as the kids just gobbled them up, shared plate/fork or not.

Mother type: 'Ya got eggs? I'll cook'um up.' I did, she did... huge woman. Not someone you say 'no' to. 'Ya all got some onions?' I did and whacked apart an into the pan.

'Ya all got some sweet patatos in that thing?' Answer was no.

'What kind of a Huny Boy are you?'

Feast and freeze but one hell of a good time. Think my camp plates/etc had 'servings for 4' but I doubt any one gave a shxt.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

The "Fish Truck" is a full-size 1998 Chevy Tahoe, with a V-8 and 166,000 miles plus. It was given to me by a good friend after his father's death. The Tahoe was his Dad's "Up North" truck, and such, his Dad thought it should go to a family friend who would keep it "up north." It now resides in a place not far from the front door...

And, while the mileage is growing every year, the truck should be solid for a long while-- once I get some of the body work finished. It has a brand new tranny, new gaskets and seals all around under the hood, and enough horsepower to get me into trouble, on occasion. It will also carry more gear than five people could use in a week astream...

Jerry, aka hairwing530