The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default How old is your 'fishing car?'

Never fished through a hole in the bottom of my car but had an old Mercedes that really did have a full on hole in front of the back seat. Purchased that 200D on 11-11-1959 and if you kept the oil clean is just ran. Pull the cylder pre-heater switch for a few seconds and 'Womp' off the engine would go.

280,000+ and 20 years later I traded in 'what was left.'

How old is your fishing car? My present is a 2002 Jeep Liberty and same thing; key in the slot and off you go. Close to 130K if memory serves.

High flows and skwala hatches mean good fishing on the Bitterroot

Old cars have 'Beach Creed.' Same as old clothing?

Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How old is your 'fishing car?'

My 2003 Mazda MPV has nearly 140,000 miles on her and still runs like a top, though she has a few minor issues and the rust is starting to take its toll
Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2000 S-10 and a '93 Civic
The S-10 is the "fish car", has a cap for camping, and gets used for general truck stuff.
The Honda is getting up there in mileage and my mechanic now says that I should be careful how far I roam in it
The odometer stopped working a while back but it probably has close to 240,000 on it.. maybe more. Still, it's gets around 46 mpg so it's not going to the junkyard anytime soon.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 AM

coastrider will become famous soon enough

The daily driver, a 02 neon gets me there every time. If camping weve got the 05 f150 for towing. If weve got a crowd ill take the 05 caravan. If that aint enough, ive still got my first car in the shop along side my first truck, one a 74 mgb and the other an 81 toyota that ive converted to a rock crawler. Hope to use the toyota once the kid grows up a bit.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2014, 11:28 AM

bocast is on a distinguished road

There are 197,000 miles on my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The best of those miles traced routes to and from favorite fishing spots. It could pull me and my two aging dogs out of mud created by a sudden streamside cloudburst. While others jumped into their trucks, racing to beat the sudden softening of the bentonite laden soil, I could fish on while my dogs frolicked. That vehicle always got me out, with a pair of exhausted and happy labs in the back seat, yellow and black made into matching "earth tone" twins by Mother Nature. The gas cap door hangs free, after a ferry service accidentally locked my keys behind it. I used the tow strap of my Clackacraft to prise it open in the dark of night. It hasn't closed right since, and always makes me smile with the memory of an awesome day fishing and laughing. The visor sports a stonefly nymph tied by a old friend next to beautiful hair wing wets given to me by a generous stranger on Penn's creek in Pennsylvania. The labs are gone now. They left a muddy pawprint on the ceiling of my Pathfinder that leaves me mystified and misty eyed. I can't bring myself to wipe it away. That Nissan is part of my gear. I love my gear. It carries memories.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Hear you Bocast. My Jeep is Yellow Lab hair from one end to the other from two old dogs (past and present). I refuse to clean the thing. I understand the flies on the visor, have two from friends long past. They're not going anywhere either.

Fred
bocast likes this.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:12 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. 4x4, 179,000+ miles. Unfortunately no one will ride in it with me. 11 years of running my two Chocolate labs 2-3x a day in the woods and swamps meant it became too tiresome to vacuum it out daily, so daily became weekly, then monthly, then annually, then feck it.....The thing is a wreck from 2 145# sopping wet dogs shaking off inside (I mean why do so outside?) slobber and mud slung everywhere, the back seat has not been set up in 11 years except one time to vacuum finding a 2" thick mat of dog hair.

Shotgun shells rolling all over in it, hunting gear and fishing gear left in it "just in case"......Yet the best part is it is a perfect smugglers vehicle...How do I know?

A few years ago a rookie deputy decided he had just seen me one too many times daily at countless parking spots on state land.....Granted, it didn't matter that even in the middle of winter I had the windows down in back for the dogs to hang their heads out of and he had seen them often, as clearly I must be growing dope out there......Welp, he insisted on searching the vehicle, and gave me the angriest look when I began howling with laughter and said "go for it"

His head wasn't even in the car and he flung himself back from the stench (at the time maybe only 7 years of swamp water, wet dogs, dog dander and all the mold and fungus that probably grows in there on it, horse and wilde game manuer on boots and dog feet, etc.)....However being young he would not be deterred and when he was done searching the front I suggested he search under that never raised back seat.....He looked like sasquatch when done stating only "that jeep really needs to be cleaned out!"

Oddly when I handed him a bag and my bandana to do so himself.....He declined, and never, ever has another officer questioned me again.

When asked "aren't I afraid of leaving the door wide open, keys in it and still running?"...I just tell them to stick their head in there even now that the dogs have passed (not that they would have been a deterrant anywhow for anyone so friendly)....All agree....My jeep will NEVER be stolen.

It smells like an old boot wore for 10 years that has been filled with old cheese and stuck up a hobo's backside...Yet for a 11 years, the windows always down (heck the heat didn't work for 4 years and I didn't waste my time fixing it) and having better things to do still needing to run the dogs why bother?.....I always figured when they were gone it would just be disposable.

Anyhow, the dogs just passed, and that Jeep 225 6cyl. 4x4 you just can't kill......Guess it's time to get out the soap, though missing the dogs, I kindof don't want to.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A good thread Fred,

I don't believe I've ever had a vehicle that was designated as my fishing vehicle. I've used every bicycle - motorcycle and car or truck I ever have owned for fishing. At this time I have a 2005 Silverado truck with about 60,000 on it. I use it only for fishing and expect to have it for a long time.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Not quite that bad BEF, but close. Pulled over (for God knows what) by an OSP and the may I see your yada-yada. As I was driving well under the speed limit, etc., I said 'No.'

Patrol Sargent shows up a few minutes later and another 'No.' Roll down the back windows and he gets two slobbery tongues and (I handed over my drivers lic) 'I'm sorry we bothered you Mr. Evans. Is that Sandy and Husky!!?'

Didn't know it but we'd fished together with the Dogs. Four of us had shared Peanut and Jelly sandwiches. Maybe there are times and you are not 'giving in' has its moments?

Dogs will eat anything.

fae
Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

Too old. 16 years and 220k miles. Time for an upgrade except I'm the only one in my circle of friends who hasn't had a breakin while fishing. Guess the thieves figure why beat a dead horse. Any ideas for a new vehicle that might be tough to break into? I was thinking about a pickup with an aluminum locking bed cover and then leaving the windows rolled down.