The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default The Universal fisherman...

Since this site caters to those just starting this sport, thought this might help.....
First I should state, I include myself in this this category....
As humans, we have chased fish for a millennia.
We have all seen movies and read books, and watched others fish, to the point we "know" how to fish.
I've put this list together after many years of watching/guiding/fishing.
I'm convinced that your stats will improve if you avoid the common errors.

1. "Blind leading the blind". As fishermen, we often walk next to the water on a fisher's trail.
Already we are starting to follow the patterns of others, and inform the fish.....
Stop well back and watch, for best results.

2. "Duh, Spook"......We tend to walk right up to the water, and wave the rod around. Stay low, drop a knee and try a side arm cast or roll cast....use structure..bushes, rocks etc....Ninjas catch more fish....
My new moto......Don't fish like Brad! Stay off the tops of rocks while casting. Strictly Hollywood......

3. "Wade Mania". We wear waders, so we wade....often standing where we should be fishing.
Often to the wader tops....This is a major/common mistake. Try not wading.......

4. "Over-there syndrome" is what I call this boo-boo.
Why does the far side always look better? Probably because you can't wade or cast to it......let alone get a drift...
Many times, the fish is within a rod length....
FISH CLOSE FIRST!!!!!

5. "Pool fixation".....Statistically, your first drift is the most important.
2-3 more is OK. But 200 more drifts are not likely to help. Keep moving!!!!

6. "Old fly" fixation, I know it's fun to fish a classic pattern, but heavily fished fish like local bugs....I used to fish a Royal Humpy....everywhere.

7. "Over cast"....Never false cast over a fish, and a pickup-put-down cast is best. The more movement, on or above the water, the fewer the fish.......we learned to do umpteen false casts from the Brits.....romance doesn't catch fish.

8. "Auto mend"....Learn to mend according to what's needed, not just up-stream every time......I believe mending is the most important skill to learn, not the cast.....the bug must drift perfectly.......

9. "The auto set", when we set vertically on a dry-fly it's OK.
But setting like a dry on other styles, (Bobber or streamer) we tend to pull the fly away from them, as well as pulling them up from slower water on the bottom, to fast surface water. Advantage fish....
Sweep set down-stream, and pull at a low angle, and then change to the opposite low angle as the fish adapts to the line of force.
If the fish is directly down stream a strip-set is best. A vertical rod set will just take the fly about 9 feet away from that fish.

10. "Playing them from here"...we tend to hold our ground and pull them back to us, this will only raise your odds of a fly whistling past your head...and another remote release.....Move with them, upstream or down...but just don't follow them around till they are exhausted, take them where you want them to go......which is shallow water.....which they hate....

11. "Habit fishing". If you catch a fish in a stretch of water, don't fish it every time, or the same way, you are just training fish...
Vary your style....Spread the pressure around.

These are (among/the) most common mistakes made by fishers......including me.
Understand what the fish don't like, don't show them any of that stuff, and I predict your stats will go up.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-23-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Universal fisherman...

Jim: Thanks for sharing, I resemble those remarks!

I think we all learn those steps as we progress as fly fishermen, for some it just takes longer!

Larry
mridenour and oldnewguy like this.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Larry, I wish someone had shared this with me when I started.....
The hard part is to not fall asleep at the switch, and relapse into old behaviors....

Talked to a guy the other day in a pelting rain, he reported no fish rising, no bugs on the water....
I rigged for nymphing, as usual....
I took the dry fly rod along as well, out of disipline....
As I took my position on the water to huck my bobber, I almost stepped on a nice fish....
Looking around me, saw tons of BWOs on the water, and fish rising everywhere.
If I had listened to his report, and not looked, I wouldn't have caught a thing.
After all this time fishing, I still have to watch myself, no "auto fishing" for me.

Jim
mcnerney, mridenour and oldnewguy like this.

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-22-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Great stuff! We watched guys wade right into the slot the cutts were stacked in over and over last summer. Rick even told one guy that he was too far out. He didn't listen. A while after he left we started catching them again, right where he was standing.
mcnerney and troutn like this.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Jim, good things for us all to remember. I totally agree with Mike's comments. Mike and I went out and enjoyed a stellar night amidst a rare rain in Wyoming. My first inclination was to fish toward the other side that looked great; however, I decided to heed some of the advice regarding wading with discretion. It paid off as we started to hook up and found they all were lying in a slot that could have easily been waded through. Mike and I just made a conscientious effort to stay closer to the bank to allow for the drift needed to hook up multiple times. Oh to be there again-right now as opposed to my office.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

Man, I wish I had a dollar for every time I have waded into a spot and thought "Hmm... This is probably where the fish used to be before I got here."

Part of that is knowing the river. The other part is not paying attention.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I have noticed (usually too late) that sometimes I am concentrating on a seam in the current or a slot and I walk right up to a large fish on the edge of the river in barely enough water to cover his back. I am slowly learning to fish this water before moving on downstream but I still manage to kick big boys off the edge from time to time.

I don't understand why I still do this. In bass fishing, I fish right up to the bank...always. Trout will choose the oddest places to lay sometimes.
mcnerney, Bigfly and troutn like this.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 PM

You guys are making my point.....
The secret is to not fish like we always do....living in the past, or our possible future...
Zen fishing... is a be here now thing....
If you work in a shop, you will see the guy who buys two "royal buggers", and is headed out. I always have to ask, "What's up?
He will tell me about catching a huge fish on that big rock, on the 4th of July back in 76.
Of course, it's the 4th today......
Watch others to know what not to do....and, then yourself to avoid doing it..

Jim
mcnerney, milt spawn and mridenour like this.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the great tips Jim.

Being a rookie it sure helps.

When I started last year, someone told me to ......

Fish where no one else does.......when no one else does....and with what no one else does.

I tried to do just that and I've done OK with it. You put a finer point on it for me.....Thanks!!!

Tight lines,

joe
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

#8, . milt
mridenour likes this.