The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 AM

zelly is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Silver Sonic Waders sizing?

I want to buy these convertible waders, but was wondering about size. I'm 21 years old and got a tall and skinny profile, about 6'1" and weight is about 150 lbs. In jeans size im about 31 for width and 32-33 in lenght in my Diesel and Levi jeans. I'm thinking about the Medium or Medium/long size. What do you think? I don't want it to big and bulky, because this will mostly be used in the summer time and then I only use thin layering for warmth.

Sizing chart: Welded Waders / Silver Sonic Convertible-Top Waders -- Orvis

I'm also not sure about the shoe size. In EUR I use mostly 44, but the US size did vary on my shoes from about 10.5 to 11. I have not decided on wading boots yet
Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis Silver Sonic Waders sizing?

This will not be a big help but I'm 6' 170lbs with a 10 1/2- 11 shoe and I bought the reg large. It's a loose fit but comfortable. The bootie is a little large on my feet but it will work with my size 11 Simms boot.

That said, buying waders was one item that I wanted to buy in store rather than mail. Orvis has an excellent return policy so, except for the time factor for exchanges, I would try the med tall and go from there if I were you.

BTW, I really like the waders.

Tight lines,

Joe
zelly likes this.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:39 PM

blazin84ta is on a distinguished road

Im 6' 185 with size 12 boots i bought them in large long. They are slightly long but not bad only complaint i have is that the booties are huge otherwise awesome waders
Old 04-26-2014, 03:04 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I simply love the Orvis Convertible Sonic Seam Waders. No stitches and super strong and super comfy.

I'm a little taller than you, 6'4" (I'm a direct descendant of the mighty Vikings).... but the Orvis stuff is made for true outdoors guys, so I'm sure you will like it! If you are worried about the "big feet", then just wear some thick socks? ..... we Vikings have big feet? deal with it?

I love those waders! Just substitute "Waders" for "Bernadette" in this wonderful video ..... this is how I feel about Sonic Seam Waders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zjDdnE1qhY
Old 04-26-2014, 07:13 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I recently purchased my first pair of waders, SIMMS G3. Looked at the Simms sizing chart for the longest time and picked out my size. I made a visit to a tackle shop only to find that the size suggested was one size too small. You definitely need to try these on before you buy. At 66 years old, I hope to get a few years out of them. I can't say enough about the quality of SIMMS products.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

I have a standard large pair of Silver Sonics. I am 5' 10', 200lbs with size 10 feet and a 32" inseam. These waders fit me perfectly. As others have mentioned, the bootie is a bit oversized even when wearing thicker socks.
A medium/long is probably the way to go for you.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:12 AM

Hard to choose without trying them on. Regular medium or medium/long, hm....I'll take a chance on the Medium, since you say the boots are big in size they will fit me fine without multiple socks on. I think it will be a nice fit, if its too small I will give it to my friend and buy myself the medium/long one!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:43 PM

Went with the medium/long one, lol. I'm sure it wount be to small atleast
Old 04-27-2014, 03:59 PM

robtmitchell is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Although this has already been decided I thought I would relpy for future reference.
I am 5 10" and about 155 lbs.

I e-mailed Orvis because I was right on the edge between medium and medium long based on foot size 10.5 I did not want the feet to be too tight.

They suggested the medium tall and they fit fine except the feet are too big like the other people reported. I could have gone with medium and been fine.

I just have to adjust my sock choice and shoe insoles compared to my other waders.

They are nice waders and these are my back pair. Orvis give me a discount on an old warranty claim. My experience with them was great and in no way did I expect a new pair at reduced price. "Honey they were on sale, I could not resist".

Rob
Old 04-27-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtmitchell View Post
Hi,

Although this has already been decided I thought I would relpy for future reference.
I am 5 10" and about 155 lbs.

I e-mailed Orvis because I was right on the edge between medium and medium long based on foot size 10.5 I did not want the feet to be too tight.

They suggested the medium tall and they fit fine except the feet are too big like the other people reported. I could have gone with medium and been fine.

I just have to adjust my sock choice and shoe insoles compared to my other waders.

They are nice waders and these are my back pair. Orvis give me a discount on an old warranty claim. My experience with them was great and in no way did I expect a new pair at reduced price. "Honey they were on sale, I could not resist".

Rob
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like it will fit me fine aswell then. I have a little bigger feet than you it seems, but probably have to put on thicker socks also
This will be my first waders and I dont know how to use them. I know I have to buy some wading shoes, but what will a wading jacket do? Only for rain and wind, or will it make you wade further in the wader?