The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default How's this for a Truckee River Trophy?

I was going to post this pic in the thread about what we consider a trophy trout but decided this guy needs his own thread. A friend of a friend caught this little guy last weekend on the Truckee and I figured I would brag about it for him. No guessing on this one Jim, the big ones do get caught sometimes.

Click the image to open in full size.

32 inches of pure glory!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How's this for a Truckee River Trophy?

Holy fish that is one big one. Looks like alot of Dinner to me. Is that a Male or Female fish? about how old would it be?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

That fish is a male. It's starting to form its kype and certainly is putting meat on its back. Within a few months it will be ready to spawn. Age - not sure, but I am sure it has been around for awhile. I think that Jim would have have a better guestimate on that.

There are plenty of monster Truckee fish, but they don't rear their heads that often. When they do, they make you wish that you left your 5 weight at home and wish that you had a 6 or 7. Sometimes a big streamer or crawdad might hook up a Homie like that.

Just wondering, Pack. What did Homie end up taking?

MP
Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM

stevewes2004 will become famous soon enoughstevewes2004 will become famous soon enough

WOW. that would eat the trophy trout in the creeks i fish...
Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

Awesome fish, congrats to him!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure what he took but I know it was caught on a 5 wt.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That qualifies as a "trophy"!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Holy Cow that's a big a$$ brown!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-05-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:38 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Holy *&%$ that's a beautiful fish... man that got my heart racing just seeing the pic... don't know what I would do if and when I hooked into something like that...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM

harry_arthur is on a distinguished road

WOW! Now that's a wonderful catch.
Gets me thinking about my first 35 incher...