The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Nylon to rubber net replacement

Good evening,

Has any one switched out their nylon net for a rubber one? Anyone know any any websites where I could just purchase a rubber net. I'm so sick of the nylon catching on my hooks. I bought a really nice wooden one awhile back, so I would hate to have the whole thing replaced.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nylon to rubber net replacement

I feel your pain, I went that route a few years back and haven't looked back!
Take a look here: Ghost Bags

Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I feel your pain, I went that route a few years back and haven't looked back!
Take a look here: Ghost Bags
Hopefully the small size isn't what you need. It's a different style than the other sizes, and they're stiff as a board.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 PM

sndmn11 has a spectacular aura aboutsndmn11 has a spectacular aura aboutsndmn11 has a spectacular aura about

I exchanged some emails a few weeks ago with Brodin about a replacement bag as my several year old Brodin bag has become very stiff and fairly useless. I was told that their new "eco-clear" bags on current production nets were PVC free and would not do this, however, they would not be available for purchase as a stand alone replacement bag until after June 1st.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

On second thought....
I just checked their blog and it looks like they are available tomorrow.
Eco-clear net bag - Brodin Direct
I was also told that they supply the proper length and type of cord to restring, and here are their directions Restring Your Net
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 AM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys! It was a pain in the rear with that nylon. There was a rubber version of my net, but for some reason I went with the nylon. I'm assuming the rubber easier on the fish then the nylon?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:13 AM

catspaw is on a distinguished road

Jann's Netcraft has two sizes of clear vinyl replacement bags.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
Jann's Netcraft has two sizes of clear vinyl replacement bags.
My net is an aluminum framed rubber basket net I got from bass pro. Eventually I had too many places where the mesh had broke and i got the replacement from Jann's
Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 AM

sndmn11 has a spectacular aura aboutsndmn11 has a spectacular aura aboutsndmn11 has a spectacular aura about

As a follow up to this, I got around to ordering an eco clear bag (see above) for my old brodin net that's bag had become more or less useless to due the hardening of the PVC within. I guess it is my understanding that most, if not all, of clear type bags have pvc and will eventually harden and yellow save for this one. I could be wrong though.
$30 shipped got me the bag and it came with the proper thread to put it in. I ordered it on a Sunday, and received it the next Friday in CO. My net is the cutthroat and I got it several years ago when they first came out. The new bag has tabs for threading, but the number of tabs was more than the numer of holes on the net frame. The spacing was also a little different from the tabs to the holes. I though about cutting the tabs off and just threading through the net like the old bag was, but after about 10min of repositioning the bad in the frame, I decided to just thread it as is. Took about another ten min to thread it up, and about 5 min to figure out how to tie it off on the last hole. Overall, pretty darned easy and I feel like it was a great face lift. If I hadn't planned on fishing the day after it came, I would have taken the time to sand off the old finish and refinish the frame as it shows some good wear.
I am happy, and one could certainly take an inexpensive nylon net and upgrade it with this bag just the same.
Joey Bagels likes this.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:32 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

You can try a measure net. They have replacement bags that go on OVER the frame and close with a zipper so you don't need to tie the net bag on the frame.

"We have many different net bag sizes that You can put on Your favorite wood frame with Our exclusive zipper feature."

The Measure Net by JTA Products - Measure Nets

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-11-2014, 12:29 PM

acorad is on a distinguished road

fwiw, drilling new holes in your net frame as needed to match your new net will not hurt the frame at all.

Also, for those who catch fish smaller than, say, 16", some of the replacement rubber nets out there have surprisingly large holes in them such that 12" trout (and probably larger ones, too) can easily slip through them and get out of your net.

Ask me how I came to know that! :-)

Andy