The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:12 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Jamie,

I am curious....More than 99% of all trout I catch are hooked in the upper or lower jaw. This year I have had only 2 trout that were hooked too deep to easily release. If the "majority" of the trout you are catching are hooked so deep you cannot release them without significant damage; what are you fishing with? What type of fishing, what hook, and what fly/lure? Thanks,
Brewmaster, I'm fishing with # 12 - 16 flies in still water.

I really believe the trout in this little pond are starving as many have absolutely nothing in the gut. They take the fly deep and in one case last night with a 10" Brown, I actually had to cut the line as I couldn't get my fingers down to get the hook out. I actually now see the reason people carry forceps. It also caused an issue last night with a 20" Brown, which I'll post in another thread.

Jamie
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I have been releasing my fish for many, many years now. With the exception of an occasional halibut or tuna everything goes back.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:14 PM

tango59 is on a distinguished road

Contact Game and Fish in the area your fishing and get their opinion. On some waters they can tell you which and what size fish need to be taken.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:50 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

Since I enjoy the fight and not the taste, I always release them. I do fish some high country streams packed with 4"-6" brookies and never have a problem with people taking these all they want. In fact to each there own, although I hate to see 20" fish leaving the river. The rules are the rules and if they are followed who am I to disagree.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

C&R here
Old 08-15-2010, 01:58 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieof View Post
As do I. They stick 'em in a plastic bag and toss 'em in the freezer in July or August, and then come January or February, they're so freezer burnt they aren't fit.

However, freeze them in water, and it's the next best thing to fresh. Try it.

Jamie.
I don't keep trout and haven't for years. I used to be strictly catch and kill on put and take streams in PA. I used to haul out "my limit" all the time. I don't do it any more, especially on wild trout streams. It's been years since I've kept a trout. Just my choice.

Jamie - Have to agree with you on freezing fish in water. Have done it with Perch and the results are outstanding.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

--------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

This is a fly fishing forum so I assume you are fishing with flies. If a fish is hooked deep cut the line as close to the fly as you can and release the fish. Chances are it will survive if it is not bleeding out.

I don't eat any of my catch, but have no problem with people who do so legally. I don't hunt either, but I'll eat any game animal happily.

In Colorado we have a "possession limit" that includes fish in the freezer. Of course it varies by species.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

C&R all wild trout and steelhead, stock trout are not tasty so I release them also. Have not harvested a trout since April of 1980, took three for a non fisher and regretted doing it.

I take salmon and use a vacuum packing devise to ready any that are not canned or smoked for freezing.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
C&R all wild trout and steelhead, stock trout are not tasty so I release them also. Have not harvested a trout since April of 1980, took three for a non fisher and regretted doing it.

I take salmon and use a vacuum packing devise to ready any that are not canned or smoked for freezing.
Hatchery steelhead have MAJOR low level problems (genetics, things that don't affect fight or taste and are hard to see) but a nice chrome hatchery steelhead sure is darned tasty. So is a chrome hatchery salmon. High level hatchery salmon and steelhead are quite nice. High level meaning things you can easily observe.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:43 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Usually catch and release, i might keep a few trout per year, less than 5. I keep most walleye that i catch.

I was fishing the coast in south carolina this past week, and released every fish that i caught, including keeper sized flounder and bluefish.