The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM

harry_arthur is on a distinguished road
Default Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum but certainly now new to the world of fishing. Have been a fisherman since I was 15 years old.

And I was just wondering if you guys release the fish you catch or what?

I know there's an issue of fish becoming depleted and many anglers are now employing the practice of catch and release fishing.

Personally I always release them and I'm also very careful not to hurt the fish too much and damage their internal organs.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

I am mostly catch and release. I have not killed a fish in the past three years.

There are a few times that I will keep fish. Lakes and streams that are regularly stocked are fair game. The fish that were put in were meant to be taken. Some high country Brook Trout lakes are filled to their capacities. Taking a fish won't hurt the ecosystem. Whenever I make a trip to some Margaritaville, the taking of a Dorado (Mahi Mahi) doesn't effect the ecosystem. Plus they make for some great fish tacos.

As a rule, I release all wild trout with the exception to some high alpine Brookies.

MP
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

cloudy2010 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I am mostly catch and release. I have not killed a fish in the past three years.

There are a few times that I will keep fish. Lakes and streams that are regularly stocked are fair game. The fish that were put in were meant to be taken. Some high country Brook Trout lakes are filled to their capacities. Taking a fish won't hurt the ecosystem. Whenever I make a trip to some Margaritaville, the taking of a Dorado (Mahi Mahi) doesn't effect the ecosystem. Plus they make for some great fish tacos.

As a rule, I release all wild trout with the exception to some high alpine Brookies.

MP
that might be right
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

I pretty much agree with MP... I hav fished for many years as a purely catch and release angler. I used to keep fish that would feed our domestic worker and her family back in South Africa. Since I have moved to Canada I have discovered how good the fish here tastes, especially walleye! I also really enjoy eating trout, and now I am pretty good at filleting a pike so I have begun to eat more fish. I live by a simple rule, "keep only what you can eat fresh." As for trout I realease all trout in the larger lakes and if I want to eat trout then I go and catch the fish in my personal dugout which I have stocked. There is a predominant mentality here amongst many people that you HAVE to keep what you catch and if you won't eat it, some body will. It's something I deal with a lot as people give me strange looks and think that I am mad when I come back from fishing with a ton of photos and nothing for the freezer. Being able to enjoy the fish we catch at the table is another element that makes this sport so great, but as with everything it must be done responsibly. My wife particularly enjoys it when I come home with fresh fish and cook it up for her, and sometimes she even insists I go fishing again!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about

For me, a little of both. We enjoy a nice meal of fresh trout, and also keep a few meals in the freezer for the winter months.

I release many that are hooked in a way the hook can be removed with minimal damage. However, the majority I've caught have the hook deep and I can't get it out without significant damage.

TW said:

Quote:
There is a predominant mentality here amongst many people that you HAVE to keep what you catch and if you won't eat it, some body will.
I see much of the same where I live and never have agreed with it.

Jamie
Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfitw View Post
I pretty much agree with MP... I hav fished for many years as a purely catch and release angler. I used to keep fish that would feed our domestic worker and her family back in South Africa. Since I have moved to Canada I have discovered how good the fish here tastes, especially walleye! I also really enjoy eating trout, and now I am pretty good at filleting a pike so I have begun to eat more fish. I live by a simple rule, "keep only what you can eat fresh." As for trout I realease all trout in the larger lakes and if I want to eat trout then I go and catch the fish in my personal dugout which I have stocked. There is a predominant mentality here amongst many people that you HAVE to keep what you catch and if you won't eat it, some body will. It's something I deal with a lot as people give me strange looks and think that I am mad when I come back from fishing with a ton of photos and nothing for the freezer. Being able to enjoy the fish we catch at the table is another element that makes this sport so great, but as with everything it must be done responsibly. My wife particularly enjoys it when I come home with fresh fish and cook it up for her, and sometimes she even insists I go fishing again!

Freezer trout/salmon suck!! If you arent going to eat it fresh put it back
Old 08-07-2010, 05:20 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
Freezer trout/salmon suck!! >>>SNIP
I have to respectfully disagree

No, a frozen trout can't compare to a fresh one (and the same goes for any fish or meat), a meal of nice 8" Brookies in January or February can taste pretty darn good.

Jamie
Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 AM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieof View Post
I have to respectfully disagree

No, a frozen trout can't compare to a fresh one (and the same goes for any fish or meat), a meal of nice 8" Brookies in January or February can taste pretty darn good.

Jamie

Well if trout that have been in the freezer are tasty for you, good for you, more choices.

I know ALOT of people who end up throwing trout from the freezer away tho
Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
SNIP<<<
I know ALOT of people who end up throwing trout from the freezer away tho
As do I. They stick 'em in a plastic bag and toss 'em in the freezer in July or August, and then come January or February, they're so freezer burnt they aren't fit.

However, freeze them in water, and it's the next best thing to fresh. Try it.

Jamie.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieof View Post
I release many that are hooked in a way the hook can be removed with minimal damage. However, the majority I've caught have the hook deep and I can't get it out without significant damage.

Jamie
Jamie,

I am curious....More than 99% of all trout I catch are hooked in the upper or lower jaw. This year I have had only 2 trout that were hooked too deep to easily release. If the "majority" of the trout you are catching are hooked so deep you cannot release them without significant damage; what are you fishing with? What type of fishing, what hook, and what fly/lure? Thanks,